Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
examples of subject linking verb complement
***NOT A TEACHER***marcosias, good afternoon. (1) The subject is the person or thing we are talking about. (2) The linking verb is a connector. (3) The complement "completes" the sentence. (4) Tom (subject) + is (linking verb) + courteous (an adjective that "completes" the sentence. So we call it the complement (from the word "complete"). (5) What are the subject, linking verb, and complement in this sentence: The apple pie smelled delicious. Yes, you are right: The apple pie (subject)/ smelled (linking verb)/ delicious (complete). (6) "John Doe became the president." Subject = John Doe; linking verb = became; complement = the president (a noun). (7) PLEASE remember: a linking verb NEEDS a complement. If I say, " Tom is" or "The apple pie smelled" or "John Doe became," other people will not understand me. I have to "complete" the sentence with a complement. Have a nice day.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If I say, "The apple pie smelled" ... other people will not understand me.
Yes they will. They'll assumed you're not using a linking verb and that you don't intend to specify how the apple pie smelled.
(You're right about the others, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.