Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Oman

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52
    #1

    choose 3

    Is that the doctor about ...... you told me ?
    which
    who that whose

    He is the most intelligent boy ...... i have ever seen
    who that whose which

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Oman

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52
    #2

    Re: choose 3

    the first one should be whom,, the second one should be who

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,623
    #3

    Re: choose 3

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_moh55555 View Post
    the first one should be whom,, the second one should be who
    Yes, the first one should be "whom". "That" would be ok for the second.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Oman

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52
    #4

    Re: choose 3

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes, the first one should be "whom". "That" would be ok for the second.
    Why can't we use who in the second one?
    or
    What is difference between( that )and (who )?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: choose 3

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_moh55555 View Post
    Why can't we use who in the second one?
    We can.
    bhaisahab's ' "That" would be ok for the second.' does not invalidate 'who', although ' "That" would also be ok for the second.' would be less ambiguous.
    ("A would be ok" does not mean "B would not be ok".)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Oman

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52
    #6

    Re: choose 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    We can.
    bhaisahab's ' "That" would be ok for the second.' does not invalidate 'who', although ' "That" would also be ok for the second.' would be less ambiguous.
    ("A would be ok" does not mean "B would not be ok".)
    At first, I would like to thank you for your interest .

    I am sorry to say that I didn't understand what you had written.

    It is too difficult to follow such an answer or an ambiguous answer.

    So if you please try to be direct and clear.

    thanks


    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #7

    Re: choose 3

    I'm not a teacher.

    You can also leave the second sentence as it is: "He is the most intelligent boy I have ever seen."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Oman

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 52
    #8

    Re: choose 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
    I'm not a teacher.

    You can also leave the second sentence as it is: "He is the most intelligent boy I have ever seen."
    Thanks,but I am speaking about multi-choice sentences.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,623
    #9

    Re: choose 3

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_moh55555 View Post
    At first, I would like to thank you for your interest .

    I am sorry to say that I didn't understand what you had written.

    It is too difficult to follow such an answer or an ambiguous answer.

    So if you please try to be direct and clear.

    thanks
    Raymott is saying that I should have made it clearer in my post that both "who" and "that" are possible in this sentence:
    He is the most intelligent boy ...... I have ever seen.

Similar Threads

  1. CAN ANY ONE CHECK MY ANSWERS
    By tonyheaney in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2009, 21:01
  2. [General] WHY I CHOOSE THIS COURSE
    By YOMAR in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2009, 17:00
  3. [General] What would you choose?
    By usignolo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Aug-2009, 23:37
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2008, 13:24
  5. so choose to
    By navi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2005, 07:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •