Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 379
    #1

    Post use 'is' or 'was'?

    Dear teachers,

    In the following sentence, should I use 'is' or 'was'? Please tell me the reason. Thank you!
    --The jacket Jenny bought for me yesterday was red.

    Similarly,
    --The books I bought yesterday were( or are?) expensive.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #2

    Re: use 'is' or 'was'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Dear teachers,

    In the following sentence, should I use 'is' or 'was'? Please tell me the reason. Thank you!
    --The jacket Jenny bought for me yesterday was red.

    Similarly,
    --The books I bought yesterday were( or are?) expensive.
    Hi

    Use past tense and the explanation is the sequence of tenses.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #3

    Re: use 'is' or 'was'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Dear teachers,

    In the following sentence, should I use 'is' or 'was'? Please tell me the reason. Thank you!
    --The jacket Jenny bought for me yesterday was red.

    Similarly,
    --The books I bought yesterday were( or are?) expensive.
    In the first sentence you could use either. In the second, we would tend to use "were", yesterday they were on sale at an expensive price; today they are no longer on sale and, while they may have a certain value, they do not have a price.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 379
    #4

    Talking Re: use 'is' or 'was'?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In the first sentence you could use either. In the second, we would tend to use "were", yesterday they were on sale at an expensive price; today they are no longer on sale and, while they may have a certain value, they do not have a price.
    Dear bhaisahab,

    Thank you so much! It really helps.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 379
    #5

    Post Re: use 'is' or 'was'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi

    Use past tense and the explanation is the sequence of tenses.
    Dear Teia,
    But that the jacket 'is' red is a fact, can't we use the present simple?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #6

    Re: use 'is' or 'was'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Dear teachers,

    In the following sentence, should I use 'is' or 'was'? Please tell me the reason. Thank you!
    --The jacket Jenny bought for me yesterday was red. This could also mean that yes, the jacket was red, but it was too small for me, so I gave it back.

    If you say the jacket that Jenny bougth for you is red, it indicates that you still have it.

    Similarly,
    --The books I bought yesterday were( or are?) expensive.
    I am not a teacher.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •