Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 575
    #1

    which

    I would like to know the difference between "1" and "2".

    1. Chemicals which were harmful to the animal and plant life were dumped into the river.
    2. Chemicals, harmful to the animal and plant life, were dumped into the river.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #2

    Re: which

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the difference between "1" and "2".

    1. Chemicals which were harmful to the animal and plant life were dumped into the river.
    2. Chemicals, harmful to the animal and plant life, were dumped into the river.
    There is no difference in meaning.

  2. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #3

    Re: which

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the difference between "1" and "2".

    1. Chemicals which were harmful to the animal and plant life were dumped into the river.
    2. Chemicals, harmful to the animal and plant life, were dumped into the river.
    The first sentence indicates that certain specific -- and harmful -- chemicals were dumped.

    The second sentence doesn't make much sense. When you use an appositive such as this ("harmful to the animal and plant life") it modifies the previous word. In other words, it seems to be saying that chemicals (that is, all chemicals) are by nature harmful to the environment.

    Appositives are a wonderful tool to use, but they can easily be misused and become misleading. You might look through a website such as the following:
    The Appositive

    Note that many of the appositives modify single items. In other words, they are specific to the item being modified.

    If we go back to your second example, it would work if you were referring to a particular chemical, e.g., "Benzene, harmful to the animal and plant life, was dumped into the river." I still prefer your first sentence, however.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 438
    #4

    Re: which

    Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    I would like to know the difference between "1" and "2".

    1. Chemicals which were harmful to the animal and plant life were dumped into the river.
    2. Chemicals, harmful to the animal and plant life, were dumped into the river.
    I would like to ask the teacher :

    1.- Only those Chemicals which were harmful to the animal .....only those - I repeat - were dumped into the river - not others
    2.- Chemicals - in general terms - all of them, because all of them are harmful to the animal......, were dumped into the river.

    Are these two interpretations correct?

    Thank you very much

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #5

    Re: which

    Quote Originally Posted by ratóncolorao View Post
    I would like to ask the teacher :

    1.- Only those Chemicals which were harmful to the animal .....only those - I repeat - were dumped into the river - not others
    2.- Chemicals - in general terms - all of them, because all of them are harmful to the animal......, were dumped into the river.

    Are these two interpretations correct?

    Thank you very much
    As I said in my previous post, I don't see any difference in meaning between the two; apparently kfredson does, you should wait for a response from him/her..

  4. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #6

    Re: which

    Quote Originally Posted by ratóncolorao View Post
    I would like to ask the teacher :

    1.- Only those Chemicals which were harmful to the animal .....only those - I repeat - were dumped into the river - not others
    2.- Chemicals - in general terms - all of them, because all of them are harmful to the animal......, were dumped into the river.

    Are these two interpretations correct?

    Thank you very much
    I would agree with what you say about number 1. It does make the reader think that it is specific chemicals.

    The problem with number 2 (as I see it) is that it is somewhat ambiguous. It might (as our Mr. Bhaisahab, whose opinions I admire, says) mean the same thing. But it could also lead the reader to surmise that it is saying something about chemicals in general.

    I would stay with number 1 so that the meaning is clear. Number 2 also sounds a bit awkward. Again, those appositives need to be used with care.

    I hope this is helpful. The fact is that you could probably get away with either one, so long as the context was clear.


    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #7

    Re: which

    Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    You might look through a website such as the following:
    http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/appositive.htm
    I currently worship you for putting that link there . Nice one .

  5. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #8

    Re: which

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
    I currently worship you for putting that link there . Nice one .
    Alas, I am not worthy of your worship, as my students (and wife) would agree. Normally only a divine being is worthy of worship. Perhaps you meant to use another word!

    Thanks for your comment, though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •