[Grammar] indefinite pronouns

• Thread starter mayisa51
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,349
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mayisa51

Hello ! I started teaching English to beginners, i'm french and i'm still learning myself !! Could you explain me how to chose between anyone or anybody (any subtilty ?) and is it better to make questions with something or anything ? I already checked the rules but is still a little confused. Something; when i hope a positive answer, is that right ? Would you like something to eat ? or would you like anything to eat ? Thank you very much...

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello ! I started teaching English to beginners, i'm french and i'm still learning myself !! Could you explain me how to chose between anyone or anybody (any subtilty ?) and is it better to make questions with something or anything ? I already checked the rules but is still a little confused. Something; when i hope a positive answer, is that right ? Would you like something to eat ? or would you like anything to eat ? Thank you very much...

Neither a teacher nor a native speaker

General rule:
SOME : mainly used in affirmative sentences
ANY : In questions and in negative sentences

But in your last example when you offer something to drink/to eat to your guest I'm sure you don't give him/her anything. You want him/her to drink/ to take a nice cup of coffee/tea/whatever it is....in addition you do expect a positive answer. Therefore "Would you like something to drink...." is the right thing to say (according to what I've been taught).

Following the same thread - that is to say, according to what I've been taught- "anyone" and "anybody" are exactly the same. There exists no difference.

By the way, in that same context how would you offer a cup of coffe in French - I' m learning French and right now I can't think of any suitable sentence for that situation. - Qu'est-ce que tu veux boire? - :-? Mercie.

Status
Not open for further replies.