Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #1

    Another "will be" question

    Hello,
    I will just write the 3 sentences and if a 4th exists, I would like to know it:

    I will drive. - I will be driving.
    I will be able to drive. -

    Is there something like
    I will be being able to drive? sounds kind of strange

    And another small question:
    Once I created a thread but the answer was it does not matter:
    I will need my book -> Probably I will need it only one time (example: next week).
    I will be needing my book -> I will need it several times, not only 1 time.

    Is this correct?

    Cheers!

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #2

    Re: Another "will be" question

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    I will just write the 3 sentences and if a 4th exists, I would like to know it:

    I will drive. - I will be driving.
    I will be able to drive. -

    Is there something like
    I will be being able to drive? sounds kind of strange

    And another small question:
    Once I created a thread but the answer was it does not matter:
    I will need my book -> Probably I will need it only one time (example: next week).
    I will be needing my book -> I will need it several times, not only 1 time.

    Is this correct?

    Cheers!
    I will drive. - I will be driving.
    I will be able to drive. - All three are correct.

    Is there something like
    I will be being able to drive? sounds kind of strange "I will be capable of driving".

    And another small question:
    Once I created a thread but the answer was it does not matter:
    I will need my book
    I will be needing my book They both mean essentially the same.

  3. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #3

    Re: Another "will be" question

    Thank you.

    I remember when you wrote such a sentence some weeks ago:
    We will miss her - When she leaves we will miss her.
    We will be missing her - We will always miss her and remember her.

    Is there really no difference if you use will or will + be + gerund?
    It makes no sense to me if there is no difference

    Cheers!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 438
    #4

    Re: Another "will be" question

    I'll answer it
    I'll bring my friend
    I think I'll go to bed


    All of them seem to be decisions at the moment when we are making them.

    The future progressive can be used to say that an action will be in progress at a particular moment in the future:

    this time tomorrow I'll be lying on a beach in Tunisia.
    Don't telephone after eight - I'll be having a dinner party
    .

    Also used to suggest that something in the future has already been fixed or decided:

    Professor Gorb will be giving another talk on Etruscan stringed instruments at the same time next week.

    Not a teacher.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #5

    Re: Another "will be" question

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Thank you.

    I remember when you wrote such a sentence some weeks ago:
    We will miss her - When she leaves we will miss her.
    We will be missing her - We will always miss her and remember her.

    Is there really no difference if you use will or will + be + gerund?
    It makes no sense to me if there is no difference

    Cheers!
    I didn't say that they had the same meaning, only that they were all correct. ratóncolorao has given you a good answer about meaning.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #6

    Exclamation Re: Another "will be" question

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I will need my book
    I will be needing my book They both mean essentially the same.
    I agree with bhaisahab. The second sentence is in the future continuous tense which means that the book is necessary for use at some future time. This is more or less expressed by the first sentence also.
    Please note that the continuous is generally used for actions that are actively on-going at the time in question, and does not focus on frequency of time or a larger time-scale. Over and above, the future progressive tense is not as common as other two tenses (present and past continuous), and it can some-times be replaced by simple future, present progressive or even simple present. Let us assume, the book will be required ‘tomorrow’. So you can say either of the following:
    I will need my book tomorrow.
    I will be needing my book tomorrow
    I am going to need my book tomorrow.
    I need my book tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Is this an indirect question?
    By forinfo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2008, 19:41
  2. Can we use this tense in a question?
    By riceball72 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2008, 01:58
  3. Question about answer, reply,take care ...
    By JJD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2006, 03:24
  4. Types of question
    By Jupiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 11:33
  5. Language Question ???
    By j4mes_bond25 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2006, 08:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •