Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,
A few days ago, at the supermarket I met Jenny, her father Mr.Brown and an elder person whom I didn't know. Now I'm talking to my friend, Mary, on the phone, (please tell me the correct be-verb I should use, is there any grammar rules for this kind of situation? thank you!)
Mary : Who was Mr.Brown? ( should Mary use 'is' or 'was'? )
I : He is Jenny's father. ( 'is' correct? )
Mary : Who was that old man? ( use 'is' or 'was'? )
I : I guess he was Jenny's grandfather. ( 'is' or 'was'? )

ps, I asked similar questions a few days ago, and I'm thankful for Teia, bhaisahab and Searching for language for your answers, but I think I need some general rules.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Dear teachers,
A few days ago, at the supermarket I met Jenny, her father Mr.Brown and an elder person whom I didn't know. Now I'm talking to my friend, Mary, on the phone, (please tell me the correct be-verb I should use, is there any grammar rules for this kind of situation? thank you!)
Normally we would use "is," unless the person has died!

Correct

Now, this is a puzzle. You might hear people use either one and no one (I would guess) would think it strange. I hadn't thought of it before (and I doubt there is any rule) but when pointing to some person whose name or family connection (Mr. Brown) you don't know, we often use the past tense.

... No. Now that you have identified the person you would ordinarily use "is" -- unless, once again, he has died in the meantime.

ps, I asked similar questions a few days ago, and I'm thankful for Teia, bhaisahab and Searching for language for your answers, but I think I need some general rules.

Perhaps someone else can point to the rules involved.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Perhaps someone else can point to the rules involved.
when pointing to some person whose name or family connection (Mr. Brown) you don't know, we often use the past tense.
Dear kfredson,
If now I'm chating with my friend Jenny, and I see a boy waving at Jenny, so I ask Jenny, "who was that boy?" ----Is it correct?:?:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear kfredson,
If now I'm chating with my friend Jenny, and I see a boy waving at Jenny, so I ask Jenny, "who was that boy?" ----Is it correct?:?:
If the boy is still there waving when you say it, you should use "is", if he has walked on, use "was".

orangutan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't know the answer to this, but I will have a try.

I think the present tense sounds better when the individual is introduced by a proper noun (name), and the past when he / she is introduced by a definite description ("the", etc.).

Why? I think this may be because a name has a reference independently of the situation described (so it is natural to talk about them in the present as long as they are assumed to still exist), while a definite description takes its reference from the situation (or at least a situation). In a sense, the individual in this case is only considered as part of the situation (the old man who you met, the boy who was waving). So if the situation is in the past, the individual is talked about in the past tense.

As I say I am only guessing, and would be interested to hear other ideas.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If the boy is still there waving when you say it, you should use "is", if he has walked on, use "was".
Dear bhaisahab,
Right now, I'm talking to Jenny on the phone,
I: Who was that boy you were talking to this morning? He was cute!
Jenny: Uh...
I: Don't tell me! I guess he is your boyfriend!
----------------------
Have I used the correct be verbs? Thanks!

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Thank you, Orangutan. I think you may are heading in the right direction with this. Most useful, indeed.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I don't know the answer to this, but I will have a try.

I think the present tense sounds better when the individual is introduced by a proper noun (name), and the past when he / she is introduced by a definite description ("the", etc.).

Why? I think this may be because a name has a reference independently of the situation described (so it is natural to talk about them in the present as long as they are assumed to still exist), while a definite description takes its reference from the situation (or at least a situation). In a sense, the individual in this case is only considered as part of the situation (the old man who you met, the boy who was waving). So if the situation is in the past, the individual is talked about in the past tense.

As I say I am only guessing, and would be interested to hear other ideas.
I: Don't tell me! I guess he was your boyfriend!
----------------------

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear bhaisahab,
I: Don't tell me! I guess he is your boyfriend!
----------------------
Yes, that's fine.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

***NOT A TEACHER***Thank you, Heidi, for making us native speakers think about this. After carefully reading this great thread and consulting other sources, I -- for one -- have learned the following: (1) There is NO "rule." (2) Native speakers will DIFFER. (3) Generally speaking, however, it might be helpful to use the present tense if the situation is still VALID. (Who is Mr. Brown? / He is Jenny's father/ I guess he is your boyfriend/ He is cute. Heidi preferred "He was cute." Many native speakers agree with her. Other native speakers prefer "is" because they feel the boy is still in "mental sight." ) (4) As one poster brilliantly pointed out, use the past tense if you are thinking primarily of the SITUATION BACK THEN (Who was that old man?) P.S. Please don't call us "old men." We prefer "senior citizen"!!!

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
***NOT A TEACHER***Thank you, Heidi, for making us native speakers think about this. After carefully reading this great thread and consulting other sources, I -- for one -- have learned the following: (1) There is NO "rule." (2) Native speakers will DIFFER. (3) Generally speaking, however, it might be helpful to use the present tense if the situation is still VALID. (Who is Mr. Brown? / He is Jenny's father/ I guess he is your boyfriend/ He is cute. Heidi preferred "He was cute." Many native speakers agree with her. Other native speakers prefer "is" because they feel the boy is still in "mental sight." ) (4) As one poster brilliantly pointed out, use the past tense if you are thinking primarily of the SITUATION BACK THEN (Who was that old man?) P.S. Please don't call us "old men." We prefer "senior citizen"!!!
Dear Parser,
Thanks for your explanation.
"it might be helpful to use the present tense if the situation is still VALID" might be a good rule to follow.
"Other native speakers prefer "is" because they feel the boy is still in "mental sight."" This statement is very helpful to me, it's something that I didn't think of. Thanks again!
P.S. I've got it. 'senior citizen' not 'old man'!:lol:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Parser,
Thanks for your explanation.
"it might be helpful to use the present tense if the situation is still VALID" might be a good rule to follow.
"Other native speakers prefer "is" because they feel the boy is still in "mental sight."" This statement is very helpful to me, it's something that I didn't think of. Thanks again!
P.S. I've got it. 'senior citizen' not 'old man'!:lol:
You are very welcome. Thanks again for the question. I was forced to do some studying. It's good for us senior citizens to keep our wits active. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.