Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
What's the correct one? I googled a bit but it seems they are both used widely. They are both correct?!

I'm talking about vehicles directional indicators, "frecce" - literally "arrows" :lol: - we say in Italy.

Bye then,
Akira

Last edited:

jeckel

Member Type
Academic
(Not a teacher)

I believe that the light in question is used both while turning and before turning.

"To turn light" - Correct and shortened to become "turn light" as the light is used when you are going to turn.
"Turning light" - Correct as the light is used while turning.

Akira

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
In the USA too. Also "blinkers".

What's "turning light" then?

If I say: "Sorry, I left the turning light on." It makes sense to a native speaker or it's gibberish?

Thanks,
Akira

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's "turning light" then?

If I say: "Sorry, I left the turning light on." It makes sense to a native speaker or it's gibberish?

Thanks,
Akira
Akira, native speakers in the US would definitely not say: "Sorry, I left the turning light on." It would sound awkward if we heard you say it to us!

We would say: "Sorry, I left my blinker on by mistake." Or, "Sorry, I left my turn signal on by mistake." :)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's "turning light" then? 'Turning light' to us means the arrival of dawn! ;-):)

Thanks,
Akira
`

Status
Not open for further replies.