Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Bulgaria's new center-right government, which swept the elections in July, is trying to shake off the country's reputation for rampant corruption and crime, and has pledged to step up the fight against graft.

sweep = to win overwhelmingly in

shake off = free oneself or get rid of something or someone

You have to shake off the dust from your feet.

Angrily, she shook off his hand.

I can't seem to shake off this fever.

After a three-mile chase, he was able to shake off the police.

She have to shake off their unwelcome attentions.

You must shake off all worry.

I can't shake off my cold.

The news comes on the heels of reports that Lidl has indicated interest in acquiring the Bulgarian business of its German competitor Plus retail chain.

on the heels of = directly behind, immediately following

Hard on the heels of the women's liberation parade, homosexuals declared a "gay pride week. "

Meanwhile, budget-minded Brits snapped up holiday homes in the beach and ski resorts.

Of course I snapped up the coal at that cheap price!

snap up = snatch for one's own use; get hold of or seize quickly and easily

Don't snap him up so fiercely.

snap up = come down on someone like a ton of bricks

The drip-drip of corruption allegations gummed up the flow of EU cash that had been a key growth driver and a source of hope for Bulgarians and investors alike that the country could overhaul its creaking infrastructure and support the upgrading of lagging sectors like agriculture.

Jimmy has gummed up the typewriter.

gum up = ruin or bungle something; to cause not to work; spoil; make something go wrong

The drain in the sink is gummed up.

gum up = block up; chock up

Thank you for your efforts.