Capitalizing Titles in Business Letters

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,611
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I need help writing a business letter. In the closing, I have always typed in the sender's name, followed by the title on the next line. Example:

George Washington
President/CEO

However, I am now being told that the letter "P" in President should be lower case because it is followed by CEO. Example:

George Washington
president/CEO

Can someone advise which is correct?

Thanks so much!

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
I need help writing a business letter. In the closing, I have always typed in the sender's name, followed by the title on the next line. Example:

George Washington
President/CEO

However, I am now being told that the letter "P" in President should be lower case because it is followed by CEO. Example:

George Washington
president/CEO

Can someone advise which is correct?

Thanks so much!

I'm not a teacher, but...

"When a title appears in an address or other display format (such as list of administrators in an annual report), as opposed to running text, the title can be capitalized even if it appears after the name."

:-(
That is the best I could find online. I hope it is of some use.

"When a title appears in an address or other display format (such as list of administrators in an annual report), as opposed to running text, the title can be capitalized even if it appears after the name."

Publications | University of Colorado at Boulder

That is the best I could find online. I hope it is of some use.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're putting this in a signature block, then YES, you should capitalize the title.

In this particular case, it's probably President and CEO, not the slash.

Status
Not open for further replies.