listening skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUNAZZA

Member Type
Student or Learner
:cry::-(Q.1 You have studied about the possible occurrence of six elements in a normal speech. These are:
1. mistakes
2. false starts
3. repetitions
4. incomplete utterances
5. hesitations
6. conversational tags
(a) Construct a dialogue, incorporating all the above elements. (15)
(b) Identify all the six elements by underlying and labeling them. (05)

Q.2 (a) What is the difference between discrete listening and global listening? Which in your opinion is best suited for our students? (10)
(b) Devise an exercise focusing on discrete listening and state at least two advantages of introducing it in the class. (10)
(c) Devise an exercise focusing on global listening and state at least two advantages of introducing it in the class. (10)

Q.3 Seven factors are described in your course books which discourage teachers to introduce oral skills in the class.
(a) What are those factors and how does each of them inhibit teachers to take any initiatives? (15)
(b) Suggest at least three practical remedies or solutions which teachers can adopt and experiment with to introduce oral skills in an ELT class.

MUNAZZA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Q.4 Choose a text from the textbook of English which you teach in your class. Exploit the text for teaching the reading skills. You can choose any three from the following sub-skills. (10)
1. Skimming
2. Scanning
3. Prediction
4. Guessing the meaning of unfamiliar words
5. Inference
Please attach the chosen text in your assignment.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Q.4 Choose a text from the textbook of English which you teach in your class. Exploit the text for teaching the reading skills. You can choose any three from the following sub-skills. (10)
1. Skimming
2. Scanning
3. Prediction
4. Guessing the meaning of unfamiliar words
5. Inference
Please attach the chosen text in your assignment.
Do you have a question?

MUNAZZA

Member Type
Student or Learner
PLZ DEFINE THE TERMS DISCRETE LISTENING AND GLOBAL LISTENING IN DETAIL. & PLZ SEND ME A DETAIL REPLY ON THE DEFINITIONS OF THE SKILLS NEEDED FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNING .

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
PLZ DEFINE THE TERMS DISCRETE LISTENING AND GLOBAL LISTENING IN DETAIL. & PLZ SEND ME A DETAIL REPLY ON THE DEFINITIONS OF THE SKILLS NEEDED FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNING .
No one is going to do your homework, and shouting won't help.
We are not here to be ordered around.
If you want help you must give some evidence that you've at least thought about your questions and have tried to answer them.
If you show us what effort you have put in, someone will help you.

sabanoor

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I am also studying TEFL, and facing problems in doing my projects:cry:. the teacher is unable to give any proper examples of the difference between global listening and discreet listening:-?what i understood is only that discreet listening focus on limited listening activities and provide practice in sounds words or sentences, while global listening activities emphasizes on a wider context focusing correct pronunciation along with providing vocabulary for a specific situation. can anybody give example of such listening activities?:roll:
thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am also studying TEFL, and facing problems in doing my projects:cry:. the teacher is unable to give any proper examples of the difference between global listening and discreet listening:-?what i understood is only that discreet listening focus on limited listening activities and provide practice in sounds words or sentences, while global listening activities emphasizes on a wider context focusing correct pronunciation along with providing vocabulary for a specific situation. can anybody give example of such listening activities?:roll:
thanks.
I get around 800,000 hits on Google for "global listening skills" and 60,000 for "discrete listening skills". Many of these sites look like they discuss the type of information you want.
If you cannot access Google, other search engines are sometimes almost as good.
Do you think this sort of search might help you?

sabanoor

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
i , of course , went through many of those sites you mentioned sir, and as you asked, it is really a futile search, then what should i do to clear my mind and get a valid answer without wasting time?:-|

sabanoor

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Listening for specific information ,listening for gist can be a discrete listening activity? how:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.