How do you pronounce "Toyota"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

Recently the name of Toyota always appears in the news and I always hear the different anchors to pronounce "Toyota", some of them would pronounce To.yo.ta, but some of them would pronounce "Toy.yo.ta", I really want to know what correct pronunciation of "Toyota" is? Thanks.

WYH

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the U.S. it is pronounced "Toy-o-ta" but little, if any, difference w/"Toy-yo-ta". Try it.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
In the U.S. it is pronounced "Toy-o-ta" but little, if any, difference w/"Toy-yo-ta". Try it.

I just wonder the first syllable is "To" or "Toy".....coz sometimes I hear the anchors say "To" (Weak) and sometimes they say "Toy" (Weak)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I just wonder the first syllable is "To" or "Toy".....coz sometimes I hear the anchors say "To" (Weak) and sometimes they say "Toy" (Weak)
It's a Japanese word, so the "correct" pronunciation in English is a matter of opinion. Do you pronounce it as the Japanese do - which, I imagine would involve three syllables to, yo and ta; or do you pronounce it as toy-o-ta, which is how an English-speaking person would instinctively say it?
As you have discovered, different people take a different view.
I say /tɔɪ’jɔʊta/

texholdem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
Many Americans pronounce it Toy Yo da.
There was even a lawsuit about it :-D

"Former Hooters waitress settles toy Yoda suit
PANAMA CITY, Fla. (AP) — A former waitress has settled her lawsuit against Hooters, the restaurant that gave her a toy Yoda doll instead of the Toyota she thought she had won."

As newbie I am not allowed to post the link

usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/05/09/toy-yoda.htm

copy and paste it to your browser if you want to read the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.