Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi..

what is the meaning of : properly endowed in the following sentence ?

How does it happen that a properly endowed natural scientist comes to concern himself with epistemology?

thanks in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hi..

what is the meaning of : properly endowed in the following sentence ?

thanks in advance.
In this case, it would mean something like 'having an appropriate scientific education, training and understanding'.

Toxic

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In this case, it would mean something like 'having an appropriate scientific education, training and understanding'.

many thanks Raymott.

but may i ask what are other possible meanings of this phrase?

for example in this sentence :

As primate he sought to ensure that the new church was properly endowed and that its clergy conformed strictly to its beliefs and canons.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
many thanks Raymott.

but may i ask what are other possible meanings of this phrase?

for example in this sentence :
Other possible meanings are anything consistent with dictionary definitions of 'endowment' or 'to be endowed with something'.
From there, you need to take the meaning from the context.
So, in the original, you need to ask yourself, "What are the endowments that a natural scientist should have that would make it improbable that he would drift off from a concrete study of science as found empirically in nature, into a philosophical speculation about the nature of epistemology?"

As I implied, my initial reading was something of a guess. But he has to be endowed - by birth or education - with a mind that accepts knowledge empirically from nature, not through mere thought. (meaning 2 in the dictionary entry below).

In your second sentence, the endowment is perhaps more physical. (meaning 1).

Cambridge:
endowment noun

/ɪnˈdaʊ.mənt/ n

[C or U] money that is given to a college or hospital, etc. in order to provide it with an income, or the giving of this money
The school has received an endowment of £50 000 to buy new books for the library.

[C] something that you have from birth, often a quality
There are tests which can establish a baby's genetic endowment.

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Quote:
As primate he sought to ensure that the new church was properly endowed and that its clergy conformed strictly to its beliefs and canons.

Hi, Toxic! In your sentence, 'properly endowed' refers to the funding for the new church.
"The primate sought to ensure that the new church was properly funded..."

More specifically, Church Endowments are permanent funds that are invested and supply an ongoing source of revenue for the church.

fountofwisdom

Member Type
Student or Learner
A further slight refinement: endowments are also tax deductable, and apply to gifts to charitable organisations. A possible minefield would be the term well-endowed which refers to the size of manhood

Toxic

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Other possible meanings are anything consistent with dictionary definitions of 'endowment' or 'to be endowed with something'.
From there, you need to take the meaning from the context.
So, in the original, you need to ask yourself, "What are the endowments that a natural scientist should have that would make it improbable that he would drift off from a concrete study of science as found empirically in nature, into a philosophical speculation about the nature of epistemology?"

As I implied, my initial reading was something of a guess. But he has to be endowed - by birth or education - with a mind that accepts knowledge empirically from nature, not through mere thought. (meaning 2 in the dictionary entry below).

maybe it's better to quote the complete paragraph. (it's taken from a paper by Albert Einstein named : Physics and Reality)

How does it happen that a properly endowed natural scientist comes to concern himself with epistemology? Is there not some more valuable work to be done in his specialty? That’s what I hear many of my colleagues ask, and I sense it from many more. But I cannot share this sentiment. When I think about the ablest students whom I have encountered in my teaching—that is, those who distinguish themselves by their independence of judgment and not just their quick-wittedness—I can affirm that they had a vigorous interest in epistemology. They happily began discussions about the goals and methods of science, and they showed unequivocally, through tenacious defense of their views, that the subject seemed important to them.

so from the above context , don't you think it means : eminent or famous scientist ?

another example :

You have to be you own polymath. This involves surmounting serious confidence issues, since in our intellectual theocracy, one is made to feel that they have to gain permission from some properly endowed expert in order to think seriously about something.

here also it seems the meaning is something like : distinguished , eminent or famous .

a well-known translator in my country has translated like this (properly endowed = distinguished) but i'm not sure he is right, so i tried to ask you.
it's very important to me to find the exact meaning.

thanks again.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it could mean 'distinguished'.
But from this I think it just means "properly qualified; having the right credentials".
A "properly endowed natural scientist" does not have to be eminent or famous - it seems to me.
Einstein may be referring to himself in the first passage, but that doesn't mean he's reserving the term for himself.

Toxic

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, it could mean 'distinguished'.
But from this I think it just means "properly qualified; having the right credentials".
A "properly endowed natural scientist" does not have to be eminent or famous - it seems to me.
Einstein may be referring to himself in the first passage, but that doesn't mean he's reserving the term for himself.

thank you very much Raymott for your attention. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.