Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I recently came across Lauren Cooper's videos. They make me laugh a lot and would probably do even more if I could understand everything. Unforunately, I'm sometimes completely unable to get when these guys mean. Slang expressions and their accent make some phrases totally incomprehensible to me.
But watching them I learned to recongize some of them and now, I have some questions about them.
1) metathesis of 's' and 'k' in the word "ask"
Have you ever come across this phenomenon? Who does it? Where can I hear it? How popular is it and where?
2) "is it?" instead of "really?" and most of question tags too.
Same questions.
3) "though" at the the end of almost every sentence.
Same questions plus: what's its function?
PS: here's a link to one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l5twcFiYd0

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I recently came across Lauren Cooper's videos. They make me laugh a lot and would probably do even more if I could understand everything. Unforunately, I'm sometimes completely unable to get when these guys mean. Slang expressions and their accent make some phrases totally incomprehensive to me.
But watching them I learned to recongize some of them and now, I have some questions about them.
1) metathesis of 's' and 'k' in the word "ask"
Have you ever come across this phenomenon? Who does it? Where can I hear it? How popular is it and where?
2) "is it?" instead of "really?" and most of question tags too.
Same questions.
3) "though" at the the end of almost every sentence.
Same questions plus: what's its function?
PS: here's a link to one video: YouTube - Catherine Tate/Lauren working at Billy Burger Bar

This is a mixture of south London and West Indies English slang.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your answer.
How come a girl from London uses West Indies slang?

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a comedy and meant to poke fun at the situation.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I understand that, but I noticed that Catherine Tate is very careful about the accents and slang expressions. All her characters are consistent in their ways of speaking and so is Lauren. So I thought there should be some justification for her saying these things.
I understand also that this is all exaggerated. But a good comedian exaggerates things that really exist I thought?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Very many Londoners have their origins in the West Indies, particularly Jamaica.

"Aks" is a very common form of "ask" deriving from the difficulty the early slaves had in distinguishing the combined sound of "sk".

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So is she trying to be like some cool black people who say it this way or is it simply so that it spread among the Londoners and now many people say that because everybody does among their peers?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
So is she trying to be like some cool black people who say it this way or is it simply so that it spread among the Londoners and now many people say that because everybody does among their peers?
Probably the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.