English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers:
Just now I watched a video clip titled "Doctor: Love Handles Stopped Bullet" at a website. I remember that I first came across "love handles" in a reading material about half a year ago and at that time I just guessed its meaning. After watching the video, I went to my dictionaries but failed to find the entry. Then I googled the term and got the following explanation:

It is a colloquialism referring, quite literally, to the "handles" of flesh on the hips which are eventually acquired by all and provide something for your lover to hang on to. When accused of possessing the aforementioned, one's replies might include "just more of me to love" or "more cushion for the pushing".

Now I have found that the term of "love handles" is really related to sex. Towards the end of the video, one of the two anchors chuckled and said, "First of all, you should know what 'love handles' are." I understand that "love handles" is something we use jokingly. My question is, If I want to avoid using this term, is there anything equally concise which I can use instead?

Thanks.
Richard

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers:
Just now I watched a video clip titled "Doctor: Love Handles Stopped Bullet" at a website. I remember that I first came across "love handles" in a reading material about half a year ago and at that time I just guessed its meaning. After watching the video, I went to my dictionaries but failed to find the entry. Then I googled the term and got the following explanation:

It is a colloquialism referring, quite literally, to the "handles" of flesh on the hips which are eventually acquired by all and provide something for your lover to hang on to. When accused of possessing the aforementioned, one's replies might include "just more of me to love" or "more cushion for the pushing".

Now I have found that the term of "love handles" is really related to sex. Towards the end of the video, one of the two anchors chuckled and said, "First of all, you should know what 'love handles' are." I understand that "love handles" is something we use jokingly. My question is, If I want to avoid using this term, is there anything equally concise which I can use instead?

Thanks.
Richard
Hi, Richard! Today, in the US, the "love handles" colloquialism usually has nothing to do with sex. It is commonly used as a relatively benign description of the layer of fat that is deposited around a person's midsection. While it is seldom polite to tell someone that you notice their 'love handles", I personally think it is much better than telling someone that you notice the 'layer of ugly fat' around their waist! ;-) :)

Synonyms for 'love handles' include 'spare tire' and 'midriff bulge'.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, Richard! Today, in the US, the "love handles" colloquialism usually has nothing to do with sex. It is commonly used as a relatively benign description of the layer of fat that is deposited around a person's midsection. While it is seldom polite to tell someone that you notice their 'love handles", I personally think it is much better than telling someone that you notice the 'layer of ugly fat' around their waist! ;-) :)

Synonyms for 'love handles' include 'spare tire' and 'midriff bulge'.
Thanks. Here's a follow-up question: If a child wants to talk about that part of someone's body noticed when this person is on the beach lying under an umbrella or dashing into the seawater, what phrase would you expect the child to use? Can he or she say "love handles" or not?
Thanks.
Richard

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A child might use "chubby" or "fat" or "out of shape".

"Love Handles" is a term used by older people.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. Here's a follow-up question: If a child wants to talk about that part of someone's body noticed when this person is on the beach lying under an umbrella or dashing into the seawater, what phrase would you expect the child to use? Can he or she say "love handles" or not?
Thanks.
Richard
Yes! No problem and certainly no sexual connotation. Just be sure the child's comments are not overheard by the other person! It would be similar to the child saying the person has a 'big nose' or 'big butt'! ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just for your reading pleasure, I also give you "muffin top."

You zip up your tight jeans and your fat pooches up and over the top of your jeans, spreading out like the top of a muffin.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just for your reading pleasure, I also give you "muffin top."

You zip up your tight jeans and your fat pooches up and over the top of your jeans, spreading out like the top of a muffin.
Oooooooooh, that is not a pretty picture!!!! :shock: By the way, are those blueberry muffin tops or cranberry muffin tops? ;-):cool:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whichever you prefer :)

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A child might use "chubby" or "fat" or "out of shape".

"Love Handles" is a term used by older people.
Thanks. I agree with you that children tend to be less tactful and that if someone is not old enough to know something about physical love, they won't include "love handles" in their talks. Besides, I know that unless you have so close a relationship with someone, you will not say anything about the fat deposited around their waist using "love handles". So, the child noticing the fat around the waist of someone on the beach is only a supposed case; children and anyone probably will never talk about it even if they have noticed it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, you are still associating the use of the phrase "love handles" with "physical love" which I think you are using as a synonym for sex.

It has nothing to do with sex!

A child should not comment on someone's love handles. This is NOT because it's inappropriate to talk about sex (although it is) but because it's inappropriate to refer to someone's weight!

If you think it's okay for a child to say "Hey, look at that fat man! What a pig" then it's okay to say "Hey! Look at his love handles! What a pig." I don't think the first is okay. For a child or anyone.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is NOT because it's inappropriate to talk about sex (although it is)
In my own culture people seldom talk about sex, let alone parents and their children. We try to avoid anything sensitive in this respect on every possible occasion. I do not know whether this means that we are conservative or not, but I stick to the notion that it is unnecessary to tell kids everything about sex. It is not sensible for us parents to do their own exploring job.
I am not persuading you to accept my point or imposing anything on you. I am just talking about what I have in mind. In what sense do you think it is appropriate to talk about sex? And how do parents in your country go about their children's sex ed and how old are children when you begin to do it?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was simply trying to say that a child would not say something about love handles, but not for the reason you state.

A child shouldn't say it because it's rude.

It has nothing to do with sex.

If you want to have a discussion about dialogues about sex in general, I can move you post to the "general discussion" area if you like. Should I?

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was simply trying to say that a child would not say something about love handles, but not for the reason you state.

A child shouldn't say it because it's rude.

It has nothing to do with sex.

If you want to have a discussion about dialogues about sex in general, I can move you post to the "general discussion" area if you like. Should I?
No,thanks. I would not like this thread to be moved anywhere. These days I have been bloody busy with something. Perhaps when I am finished with it, I will have time to discuss that sex ed topic with other members.
Thanks again for your great help with the term "love handles". And thanks for your work at this forum.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay - we'll be here when you have more time. I'd suggest using the discussion forum for that, when the time comes.

Good luck with your project.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Other colloquial terms (Br Eng) - but referring to the front more than the sides - are 'paunch' and 'beer-gut'. There's also the euphemistic 'carrying a bit of weight'.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In what sense do you think it is appropriate to talk about sex? And how do parents in your country go about their children's sex ed and how old are children when you begin to do it?

It will vary quite considerably depending on the parents- there's less of a fixed cultural norm, in the UK at least, than the one you describe. Also, the are other sources of such education- schools, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.