Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #1

    Question Knowing about

    Hi,

    Can I say "Knowing about something" or "Knowing of something"?

    Which is correct? and why?

    Thanks.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: Knowing about

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Hi,

    Can I say "Knowing about something" or "Knowing of something"?

    Which is correct? and why?

    Thanks.
    Both "to know about" and "to know of" are correct.

  2. Eric Davis's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 86
    #3

    Re: Knowing about

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Hi,

    Can I say "Knowing about something" or "Knowing of something"?

    Which is correct? and why?

    Thanks.
    Both of them look like gerunds, and I would say that both convey the same meaning, but I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #4

    Re: Knowing about

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Both "to know about" and "to know of" are correct.
    Why do not use knowing? why knowing is incorrect here?

    I found that the BBC also uses "knowing about" in this link: BBC World Service | Learning English | Ask about English, (There are two things worth knowing about the use of the pronoun 'whom'.)

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #5

    Re: Knowing about

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Why do not use knowing? why knowing is incorrect here?

    I found that the BBC also uses "knowing about" in this link: BBC World Service | Learning English | Ask about English, (There are two things worth knowing about the use of the pronoun 'whom'.)
    "Knowing" is correct, I didn't say it wasn't, I was simply pointing out that the verb "to know" in all it's forms, including "-ing", can be followed by both "about" and "of".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #6

    Re: Knowing about

    Thanks.

    There is still has a related question in this post,

    I found that the BBC also uses "knowing about" in this link

    In above sentence, is "uses" correct? I just add -s to use because I think that BBC should use third person singular, but I am not sure of it.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #7

    Re: Knowing about

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Thanks.

    There is still has a related question in this post,

    I found that the BBC also uses "knowing about" in this link

    In above sentence, is "uses" correct? I just add -s to use because I think that BBC should use third person singular, but I am not sure of it.
    Yes, it's correct. In BrE singular or plural would be correct, it depends on whether you see the BBC as a unit or as a group of individuals.

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] knowing
    By uktous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 21:03
  2. without the other knowing about it
    By yuheci in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2009, 19:46
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2009, 09:11
  4. knowing as she does
    By svartnik in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2007, 23:26
  5. knowing a language and knowing about a language
    By Margha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2006, 11:43

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •