1. Unregistered

Improve english

Hi can any one advise me on how can I improve my english? Such as the use of tense, proper sentence construction and etc. I try reading paper everyday and it doesn't seen to work. In my sch days my english was either fail or just pass. I find that I am very weak in expressing myself in english and very careless whenever I write. Though some of the word I know the meaning and when writting I just don't know how to put these word in use. Some time I am just so envy to those people who can write superb good essay. I believe with a good command of english is a great benefit to me. Pls advice. Thank you

Re: Improve english

I suggest you to translate songs you like. It's very useful. I always do that and I am improving, I know lots of word that I would never learn in the instute I go (I'm 15)
    Last edited by Alc112; 16-Apr-2005 at 18:03.

Learning a foreign language is a difficult task but not impossible. To learn the basics of grammar is a good start. Practise what you learn and practise a lot! Take one chapter at a time, make sure you have a good understanding of grammar first and then keep on adding new words to your vocabulary as you progress with new grammatical points. Reading newspapers is very good but make sure you learn the basics first: grammar, pronunciation, spelling, etc. "Harrass" your teacher whenever you have any doubts or questions.
    Practise and hard work will pay off as long as you have a desire to learn. Use the website resources and UsingEnglish.com is a great start for you as well. You will find plenty of great information and a ton of learning resources and exercises.
    Good luck!

4. mice2000

Sigh the problem is I just don't understand grammer. For all excercise it normally categories into thingd like present tense, past tense etc. But if were to mix everything together I will have difficultly answer the question. My friend suggest that maybe I can start writting blog log every day so I will get into the habit of writting. But well, though I write and nobody there to collect me when I made any mistake... I will be forvever making the same mistake and no knowing where my mistake are.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

OK, start writing here, where you will get some feedback.

Sigh. The problem is I just don't understand grammar. For all excercises things are normally categorized into present tense, past tense etc. But if were to mix everything together I would have difficulty answering the question. My friend suggests that maybe I should start writing a blog every day so I will get into the habit of writing. But if I write and nobody is there to correct me when I make a mistake... I will be making the same mistakes forever and not knowing where my mistakes are.

5. mice2000

hi tdol
    Thanks for you help. My english really poor. Hum.... I have got to do something about it . But how and where should I start from
    Dont mind explain to me why is
    1) I would and not I will
    2) My friend suggests and not My friend suggest
    3) I will be making the same mistakes forever and not I will be forvever making the same mistake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mice2000
    hi tdol
    Thanks for you help. My english really poor. Hum.... I have got to do something about it . But how and where should I start from
    Dont mind explain to me why is
    1) I would and not I will
    2) My friend suggests and not My friend suggest
    3) I will be making the same mistakes forever and not I will be forvever making the same mistake

Thanks
    I think the blogging exercise will not solve much. You said you don't understand grammar. Unfortunately learning grammar is the most important thing in learning any language. With poor grammar maybe you will still understand others but they will get confused trying to figure you out.
    Start from square one: get yourself a good grammar and exercise book and study those religiously. You'll need someone to help you along. You will have questions and they'll need to correct your work as well. I don't know what else to say. Once you have a good grasp over the rules of grammar, everything else will fall into place accordingly.