Guide on/in Preposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kl004535

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Teachers,

I know prepositions in time and space can be used metaphorically in showing abstract relation between two entities.

Frankly speaking, I am totally confused about it. For example,

I do not know which one of them I should put in the phrase below:

Guide (on/in/at) preposition

I am much obliged to you for your guidance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Teachers,

I know prepositions in time and space can be used metaphorically in showing abstract relation between two entities.

I'm not quite sure I know what the question is here! Are you writing a guide, and the subject will be prepositions?

If that is the case then you are writing a "Guide to Prepositions".

Confusing, eh?!

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Teachers,

Please note that a preposition is used before a noun or pronoun (called object of the preposition) that establishes a relationship with another word of the sentence to impart a temporal meaning to the whole sentence. So in that sense preposition is a very tricky word.
There are hardly any rules as to when and where to use which preposition except some guide lines available for the basic prepositions such as in, on and at, which you can study from a good grammar site on the Web. Here is one such site:Prepositions of Place: at, in, on
However to become conversant and gain confidence, the only way to learn is by looking them up in a dictionary, reading a lot in English (literature), learning useful prepositional phrases off by heart (study tips) and above all doing a lot practice on uses of different prepositions which includes verifying the correctness of their uses. You can use this forum effectively for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.