Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I guess some of you know the movie "V for Vendetta". Here's the scene where the protagonist introduces himself:

YouTube - V Introduces Himself

In his speech he uses "votive", which every dictionary I know only knows as an adjective, in the following way:

The only verdict is vengeance - a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain ...

What would you say "votive" means here? I'm going for "symbol" - does somebody agree?
I'm thinking maybe the word which formerly was only an adjective can now also be used as a noun. What do you think? - I mean even a native speaker probably doesn't use it all too often and therefore it's not perceived as being overly wrong.

What do the native speakers here say about this?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I guess some of you know the movie "V for Vendetta". Here's the scene where the protagonist introduces himself:

YouTube - V Introduces Himself

In his speech he uses "votive", which every dictionary I know only knows as an adjective, in the following way:

The only verdict is vengeance - a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain ...

What would you say "votive" means here? I'm going for "symbol" - does somebody agree?
I'm thinking maybe the word which formerly was only an adjective can now also be used as a noun. What do you think? - I mean even a native speaker probably doesn't use it all too often and therefore it's not perceived as being overly wrong.

What do the native speakers here say about this?
He just uses it because it starts with "v", it has no meaning in that sense.

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
He just uses it because it starts with "v", it has no meaning in that sense.

Well, yes, but he can't just look for words beginning with "v". He also has to choose them so they make sense in the context.

How do you understand "a vendetta held as a votive"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Well, yes, but he can't just look for words beginning with "v". He also has to choose them so they make sense in the context.

It doesn't make any sense.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France

Hi,

I have watched that little movie but I think one thing is sure it's that guy is a bit crazy and the other thing it's he likes the 'V' consonant.

Have a nice day V man
.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.