please help help help
Student or Learner
i have studied words are ludicrous,ridiculous and laughable. the problem is that i don't know how to use them in the proper cases. please help me
thank you so much!
please help help help
When you say you have studied them, what have you done? I presume you have looked them up in a dictionary, but what else have you done? Also, are you using a monolingual or a bilingual dictionary (or both)?
Good morning, hitinvo.
(1) As the Editor said, it would be very helpful if you studied a GOOD bilingual dictionary.
(2) It is really difficult for many native speakers, including me, to explain the difference between these three words.
(3) I respectfully suggest that you carefully study the word "absurd" ( = something that is the opposite of what is real). If you understand "absurd," then you will better understand those three words.
(4) After checking some very good dictionaries, I think that I am correct in telling you:
(a) "laughable" is the "weakest" of the three. = to cause laughter.
(b) "ludicrous" is next.
(c) "ridiculous" is the "strongest." It does not always mean that you are laughing. It can mean that you are angry.
(5) Here are some sentences. Please study them carefully. Maybe they will help you a LITTLE bit:
(a) Don't say anything to her, but look at Susan's ludicrous outfit. (Her clothes make everyone want to laugh.)
(b) I couldn't believe the ludicrous lack of efficiency at that office. (They were so stupid and disorganized!)
(c) The government wants to tax us even more. That's ridiculous! (They already tax us enough.)
'Laughable' usually refers to something that is inadequate, poor.
Your essay is laughable. (The other words don't work here).
The other two words are closer to being synonymous.
The suggestion that I am having an extramarital affair is ridiculous/ludicrous. ('Laughable' doesn't work here).
Note that when a politician calls something like this 'ridiculous', it usually turns out to be true.
i thank you so much! i am just a English studying beginner, so i have some problem about study synonym. I had use dictionary on internet, but it explains so vague. so please help me more about how to use synonym ^^
but if i study words. whenever, i confront the synonym words, it coerces me to consider between those of words. it is also hard when i want to use the words to speak it make me so confuse!!