Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #1

    easy texts in Scots

    Could anyone recommend to me any Scots texts that would be interesting to read and not very difficult at the same time? I'd like to improve my Scots understanding but reading articles from Scots Wikipedia turns out exhausting to me sometimes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #2

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Could anyone recommend to me any Scots texts that would be interesting to read and not very difficult at the same time? I'd like to improve my Scots understanding but reading articles from Scots Wikipedia turns out exhausting to me sometimes.
    Hi, I am not a teacher,

    but I know one link which can help you. Click on this internet address and you will find a lot of newspapers in Scots (UK Newspapers Online and Worldwide Newspapers in English;International News Sites/Links; Business News ).

    I hope that help you.

    Have a nice day.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #3

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    Thank you. Do you mean these Scottish newspapers?
    Scotland
    Scotsman Edinburgh Eve. News
    Scotland On Sunday
    Dundee Courier
    Glasgow Herald Eve. Times
    Daily Record Sunday Mail
    Aberd'n Press And Journal
    Scotland Today

    But they're all in BBC English, aren't they? I meant the Scots with all these "hae", "tae" and "gae".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #4

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Thank you. Do you mean these Scottish newspapers?
    Scotland
    Scotsman Edinburgh Eve. News
    Scotland On Sunday
    Dundee Courier
    Glasgow Herald Eve. Times
    Daily Record Sunday Mail
    Aberd'n Press And Journal
    Scotland Today

    But they're all in BBC English, aren't they? I meant the Scots with all these "hae", "tae" and "gae".
    Hi,

    I do not understand exactly what you are looking for, but whatever I do believe in all this different newspapers you can find many articles which differ one from the other and maybe the diffefent style of writting is a nice way to improve your English.

    Perhaps it is a little bit difficult but with a good dictionnary and patience, evrerything it's possible, no?

    Cordially (sorry for my mistake but I write English like I talk it).

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #5

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Thank you. Do you mean these Scottish newspapers?
    Scotland
    Scotsman Edinburgh Eve. News
    Scotland On Sunday
    Dundee Courier
    Glasgow Herald Eve. Times
    Daily Record Sunday Mail
    Aberd'n Press And Journal
    Scotland Today

    But they're all in BBC English, aren't they? I meant the Scots with all these "hae", "tae" and "gae".
    There are not many texts available on line in Lallans (Scots), you could have a look at this link though: Written in the language of the ... - Google Livres

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #6

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by The French
    Hi,

    I do not understand exactly what you are looking for, but whatever I do believe in all this different newspapers you can find many articles which differ one from the other and maybe the diffefent style of writting is a nice way to improve your English.

    Perhaps it is a little bit difficult but with a good dictionnary and patience, evrerything it's possible, no?

    Cordially (sorry for my mistake but I write English like I talk it).

    I'm looking for this kind of English:
    The ettle o airchaeologie is tae document an expoond the springheid an oncome o human cultur, unnerstaund cultur historie, chronicle cultural evolution, an study human laits an ecologie. It is the ae discipline that possesses the gate an theory for the collectin an interpretation o information aboot pre-written human history, an coud mak a creetical contreebution tae wir unnerstaundin o documentit societies an aw.
    But it's hard reading about such things for a long time. I get bored after a few paragraphs, because it's not only hard to understand the language, but also the very content.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #7

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    There are not many texts available on line in Lallans (Scots), you could have a look at this link though: Written in the language of the ... - Google Livres
    Thank you very much! It seems very interesting!
    PS: O gosh, it's only a preview... And the whole book costs $80 :-S I don't think I am going to pay that much for a single book. I could buy an encyclopedia for that money in Poland... And this is only 200 pages.
    Last edited by mmasny; 27-Feb-2010 at 19:31.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Thank you very much! It seems very interesting!
    PS: O gosh, it's only a preview... And the whole book costs $80 :-S I don't think I am going to pay that much for a single book. I could buy an encyclopedia for that money in Poland... And this is only 200 pages.
    That's not a lot for a specialised textbook. They have to cover their costs. It's never going to be a best seller.
    How many people do you think are interested in Scots?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #9

    Re: easy texts in Scots

    It would cost half of it in my country. Even specialized books have to be thick to cost that much. This is the price of special editions and compendiums in Poland. It seems there's a big difference between East Europe and US/UK in this matter. I wanted to buy a book about chess lately that I couldn't get in Polish stores and that price scared me too.
    PS: I said half of it. I meant maximally of course.
    PPS: here's a link to a very specialized book on some aspects of Kashubian language: http://eksiegarnia.es24.pl/opis/6171...zmy-jezyk.html
    It costs 32 PLN which is about $11.
    Last edited by mmasny; 27-Feb-2010 at 23:00.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #10

    Re: easy texts in Scots


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] to make my mind easy/ to set my mind easy/ to set my mind easy
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2008, 02:24
  2. easy about
    By ian2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2007, 20:54
  3. an exercise in populism, an easy line of attack.
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2007, 08:59
  4. Short easy texts for reading
    By present in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Jan-2006, 09:13
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Sep-2004, 20:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •