• French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Meaning of sentence

Hello,

can you say me what is sthe meaning of the bold part in the following sentence (it's an extract of the Timesonline about the quake in Chile):

"The death toll in Chile has reached 78 and is still rising according to President Michelle Bachelet, who has declared a “state of catastrophe” in the country."

What it stuck me is the use of the word toll, I believe the writer is talking about the number of people which are death but in my mind toll is the location or the place where person take your money for the road.

Am I wrong ?

Thanks in adavance for the time you waste in this little matter.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meaning of sentence

death toll - definition of death toll by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Noun 1. death toll - the number of deaths resulting from some particular cause such as an accident or a battle or a natural disaster

toll - definition of toll by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

toll 1
    n.
    1. A fixed charge or tax for a privilege, especially for passage across a bridge or along a road.
    2. A charge for a service, such as a long-distance telephone call.
    3. An amount or extent of loss or destruction, as of life, health, or property:
    "Poverty and inadequate health care take their toll on the quality of a community's health"
    (Los Angeles Times).

Online Etymology Dictionary

toll (n.)
    "tax, fee," O.E. toll, variant of toln, cognate with O.N. tollr, O.Fris. tolen, O.H.G. zol, Ger. Zoll, representing an early Gmc. borrowing from L.L. tolonium "custom house," from L. telonium "tollhouse," from Gk. teloneion "tollhouse," from telones "tax-collector," from telos "tax" (see tele-; for sense, cf. finance). Originally in a general sense of "payment exacted by an authority;" meaning "charge for right of passage along a road" is from 1477. Tollbooth is attested from 1314, originally meaning a tax collector's booth.