use of preposition "of "

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahpote

Member Type
Other
In my language i use all the possessive nouns by using 's type possessive case for animated as well as non-animated nouns. But in english it is different. I find it difficult to understand the possessive case by using "of" proposition for showing relations in nouns.

in example

He opened the door of temple.

in my language it is : He opened temple's door:
and i find it very easy to understand . I do not understand why there are two types -of and 's are used for possessive case.

In above example subject direct action on object "door" i.e. action goes to direction of door but after that it comes back by using "of" preposition along with temple. this direction actually makes it difficult to understand and remember the meaning of sentences.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my language i use all the possessive nouns by using 's type possessive case for animated as well as non-animated nouns. But in english it is different. I find it difficult to understand the possessive case by using "of" proposition for showing relations in nouns.

in example

He opened the door of temple.

in my language it is : He opened temple's door:
and i find it very easy to understand . I do not understand why there are two types -of and 's are used for possessive case.

In above example subject direct action on object "door" i.e. action goes to direction of door but after that it comes back by using "of" preposition along with temple. this direction actually makes it difficult to understand and remember the meaning of sentences.
***NOT A TEACHER***

mahpote, good morning.

(1) I shall let the experts answer your question.

(2) Yes, it IS a very difficult matter.

(3) For example, you wrote: "He opened the door of the temple." Of course, that is excellent English.

(4) But probably most native speakers would say: "He opened the TEMPLE DOOR." In English, a noun + noun combination is very popular.

Have a nice day.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You'll get used to it.

in example

He opened the door of the temple.

in my language it is : He opened the temple's door:
The reason there are several ways to do a lot of things in English is that English has evolved from several different language systems.
Nothing can be done about it.

That's the way most European languages work.
Once you get over your annoyance or resentment that English is more difficult and variable than, say, Marathi, you will progress rapidly. Southern Europeans have a similar problem with "the A's B" since they are used to "the B of the A".
It's something we all have to live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.