English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

1. In Persian someone who comes to your house (without invitation) and stays for a long time, or for a meal is called "chatrbaaz" which means "parachutist"! because you didn't expect them...as if they came from sky.

Is there an equivalent in English?

2. A person who wants to be with you or work with you, but you want to get rid of; or a person who insists on something too much is called "sirish" which is a type of "glue".

Is there some word or phrase for this one?

christopher mark kohler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I'll drop by later
I'll drop in later
He came by last night
He dropped in last night
He just popped in, were having a beer now

For #2 many things could be used and it depends on the situation. How "wanted" or "unwanted" the person is. Some words have very negative connotations, like in eastern Canada one might say she is a clingon/cling-on, and this is not nice.

Sorry i can not come up with any idioms. Surely there are lots.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Potluck is either when people take dishes to eat to make up a dinner party or when you eat whatever there is to eat, which is close to your parachutist.

christopher mark kohler

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Don, for me it makes a big difference if the parachutist is welcome or unwelcome.

Tdol, potlucks could have different "rules" in different places. In east Canada all the potlucks i have attended were by invite. There would be different terms for an unwanted or a welcome drop in.

digitS'

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A visitor may be someone invited or uninvited. A Benjamin Franklin quote: "Fish and visitors stink after three days."

A dependent person may "cling" to another, or to something. "She follows us everywhere and we cannot get rid of her. She clings to us like a vine." "He is still clinging to his mother's apron strings." "He clings to that idea as though it is his last hope."

Steve

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
1. An uninvited guest at a party would be a "gate crasher" of some sort. A guest who has stayed beyond a tolerable time would be described as having "worn out his welcome".

But, I am not sure a what the proper phrase including those two elements would be. :-|

2. Sounds like a stalker to me. :-D

Donbelid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you very much.

As usual I'm happy I asked my question here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.