Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    that of

    Is "that of" redundant?

    Her legal education included classes on labour law of the European Union and that of Switzerland.

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #2

    Re: that of

    It is not redundant. It clears the meaning up. Now, you're sure that the sentence isn't about any kind of common law that the EU and Switzerland would share.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #3

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Is "that of" redundant?

    Her legal education included classes on labour law of the European Union and that of Switzerland.

    Thanks.
    I think it reads better with "the" before "labour" and "that of" left in.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #4

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I think it reads better with "the" before "labour" and "that of" left in.
    But "the" is not mandatory if I've understood you correctly.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #5

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    But "the" is not mandatory if I've understood you correctly.
    I would call it mandatory if I were your teacher, others might not.

  3. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #6

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Now, you're sure that the sentence isn't about any kind of common law that the EU and Switzerland would share.
    I couldn't see how this sentence implies that EU and Switzerland has the same labour law (I believe you meant "a law that is common", by saying "common law" (common law is a different concept).

    And I'd add an "s";laws

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #7

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    I couldn't see how this sentence implies that EU and Switzerland has the same labour law (I believe you meant "a law that is common", by saying "common law" (common law is a different concept).

    And I'd add an "s";laws
    I am not a lawyer. I don't know what you mean by common law. I meant a law that would be common (in a common sense) for both, the EU and Switzerland. Not two identical laws but one law ruling in both.

    This sentence does not imply existence of such a law. That's what I said. It says something about the law of the EU and the law of Switzerland. But if there was no "that of" one could think that there is such a law and that we're talking about it. Omit "that of" and put the EU and Switzerland into parentheses and you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by mmasny; 01-Mar-2010 at 19:55. Reason: missed word. I must do something about it :-/

  4. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #8

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    I am not lawyer.
    neither am I.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    (in a common sense)
    I believe we should find a common word instead of the word "common". :)

    PS:Forget about the previous "s", no "s" for the law

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1,704
    #9

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    I believe we should find a common word instead of the word "common". :)
    C'mon, let's do it

  5. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #10

    Re: that of

    Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    C'mon
    Is this what you are suggesting? Let's see:

    c'mon law, c'mon sense...


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •