in the bosom of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Everyone,

writing about theories, is it correct to say that "x grows in the bosom of y"? Is it informal?

With appreciation :shock:,
me

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you could say that. I would say it is more poetic than informal.

:)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
thank you :-D
Don't read too much into RonBee's approval! Your sentence may make (poetic) sense in American English, but in British English it looks very odd. 'In the bosom of' has a very strong collocation with 'family', but that doesn't seem to fit whatever it is you're trying to say.

You need to find out what words fit your idea, rather than asking whether a word/expression 'makes sense' - regardless of what it may mean in the (unknown) context that you have in mind. Work out what the sense is, and we'll help you make it!

b

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't mean to suggest that the phrase should be used in everyday speech or writing. That is why I said it is more poetic than informal. Whether such a phrase would be a good fit in a given context is impossible to know without knowing what that context is.

:)

Buno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi!

Sorry if I'm answering only now, but I have just read your comment.
In my original post I meant that someone (the author I was dealing with in my essay) grew in the bosom of the Processualism, so his ideas were affected by this school of thoughts.
I hope I clarify what I had in my mind.

Thank you for your help,

Buno

Status
Not open for further replies.