Question a big doubt about questions

hello;

I would like to ask in what situations it is necessary to add the past auxiliary when we whant to ask something.

For example;

Who discovered the penecillin? or Who did discovered the penicillin?

What singer died last year? or What singer did die last year?

Where boutgh you this handbag? or Where did you buy this handbag?

Which actrees won the Oscar last year? or Which actress did win the Oscar?

I know that in the firs two cases the correct question is the first option but in the case of "where" in pretty sure that the auxiliary "did" is necessary.
    One person asked today why in one situations the auxiliar is needed and in others non and I was not able to give her a proper answer so I hope someone could explain me the difference.

Thank you

Re: a big doubt about questions

Quote Originally Posted by arare View Post
    hello;

I would like to ask in what situations it is necessary to add the past auxiliary when we whant to ask something.

For example;

Who discovered penicillin.

What singer died last year?
    or What singer did die last year?

Which actrees won the Oscar last year? or Which actress did win the Oscar? Which actress won the Oscar?

I know that in the firs two cases the correct question is the first option but in the case of "where" in pretty sure that the auxiliary "did" is necessary.
    One person asked today why in one situations the auxiliar is needed and in others non and I was not able to give her a proper answer so I hope someone could explain me the difference.

Thank you
    You are correct. The correct sentences are the ones I have marked, as you suggest.

However, in the first, second and fourth sentences you might change from the past to "did" + infinitive if you want to add emphasis. For instance: Me: "Einstein didn't discover penicillin." You: "So who did discover penicillin?"
    "She didn't win the Oscar this year." "Well, then, which actress did win the Oscar this year."

Remember that it is always "did" + infinitive and not "did" + past tense.

I don't know the exact rule for using "did," however. Perhaps others can help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by arare View Post
    hello;

For example;

What singer died last year? or What singer did die last year?

Which actrees won the Oscar last year? or Which actress did win the Oscar?

Thank you
    ***NOT A TEACHER***

arare, good afternoon.

(1) I think that you need an auxiliary if the sentence does NOT start with the subject.

(1) Who / discovered it? Who = subject.
    (2)What singer / died? What singer= subject.
    (3)Which actress / won? Which actress = subject.

(4)Where bought you this bag? = Of course, "Where" is not the subject. "You" is the subject. So you need the auxiliary. Where DID you BUY the bag? (You ALWAYS use the simple form of the verb after an auxiliary: Why did he GO? What does he STUDY? How did you DO on the test? Where does she SHOP?)

Whenever you have any questions, remember that there are many teachers and non-teachers who are waiting for your questions.

Good luck with your students!

Thank you, I don't know why students always make such a difficult questions good for them!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

[QUOTE=arare;572793]Thank you, I don't know why students always make such a difficult questions good for them!![/

Thank you for your kind note. It's great that your students ask difficult questions. It shows that they really want to learn English and it shows that they really appreciate having you as their teacher. Have a nice day.

Please note as well that, while TheParser may not be employed as a teacher, his posts provide an education to us all.