I am not a English teacher but would like to ask the ones who can give me advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

marieuni

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There is a personal decision quite critical to me and would like to have your advice.

I want to improve my English, so i went to the British Council Hong Kong
Before starting the suitable learning class, the student is required to do a entry test. I did the marks:

pre-test - 13/15:)
grammer - 18/22;-)
vocabulary - 13/24 :cry:
reading - 5/19 :cry:
oral - poor expression:cry:

I found my problems are:roll:

1.I had times of experience to speak much better with foreign interviewers in English and got jobs sucessfully because it made me feel easier but still could not get through some complex expressions. To speak with a Chinese in English that makes me feel so strange and tense.

2.I try to learn more of vocabulary and jot them in my note books at any place and review them at any time even though this way seems to learn slowly but it works to me.

3.I cannot write fast because of spelling and not only the reason for insufficient vocabulary.

4.I need more time to understand the content of passages that make me answer the questions over time.

The interviewer suggested me some courses but I have a few money left from the Fund Scheme. So I want to find an aimed course to improve my vocabulary, reading, oral.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Firstly, it's an assessment, so it's not meant to be critical of you, but to reflect the state of your knowledge- there are areas where you score highly, and others where there's room for improvement. The British Council tends to be one of the more expensive places to learn- have you looked into other schools oin Hong Kong?

marieuni

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The British Council seems that is the one most accredited by the HK Government. Normally it is the first pirority of many people. I am not sure if there is advantage conflict to the Council because they need sources and it may cost us a lot of. Could you advise other reliable organizers to me?:roll:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do the HK government require exams? If so, which ones?

marieuni

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hong Kong was once a British colony and set up policies on the education for their citizen. The Certificate Examination Education (HKCEE) was an assessment, had been recognized by the HK Government even Hong Kong was handed over by the China Government. If the student achieved the assessment with supposed entry marks, who was allowed to study a preparation course for two years for a Higher Level Examination - HKALE.

The results of the HKALE is an entrance to the universities, expressed in terms of six grades A - F, of which grade A is the highest and F the lowest. Results below grade F are designated as unclassified (UNCL). Grade E of an A-level or AS-level result is equivalent to grade E in their GCE counterparts. This higher level assessment also will be last to 2013.

Starting from 2010, HKCEE will be taken by Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) and recoginized by UK Higher Education Sector. HKDSE is recognized by the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) of the UK as comparable to the UK GCE A Level and acceptable for entry to higher education courses in the UK.

Actually I am not sure what it is really different from HKCEE because I had never sit in HKCEE. Untill 2003, for seeking job easier, i took the exam only in English subject and got a pass level (grade E) and was allowed to apply for an advanced evening course in English - the Workplace English (both oral and written) which is going to the BULLET TESTS.

Since 2004, I have not taken any course in English and want to have an updated language report. As like me, with a limited cost and have been working in bussiness field for many years, I 'd rather IELTS than the HKDSE. it should be the straightest way for the private candidates to do. There may be conflict with the HKCEE or HKALE, the HK Government has not promoted IELTS on the initiative, so, I am not sure whether this evaluation is accredited.

The Britsh Council HK is used to be a language consultant in Hong Kong, the final organization to apprase those accredited examination. Now they are promoting that course to the university students of HK.

IELTS evaluation costs for US$192 per time, and the preparation course costs for US$576 with no Government Fund Scheme support. Therefore, I have to make sure that my english are improved before taking the tests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.