Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Given this sentence:

Some part of her mind knew she would have to cut the long tresses hung in her way

I find some difficulty to understand "in her way" here.

The story is about a noble young woman around 16th century who is an adventurer and even a thief. She has a short black hair which she thinks is suitable for her "secret" practices which of course her respectable family doesn't know about. The tale is about a horrible experience she comes through: She has entered a mage's tallhouse she thought without his owner at the moment, but when inside, the mage appears and revenges, among other nasty things, by applying magic on her hair which grows till the waist.

The writing is not clear because when back at home, it is said all magics disappears and therefore her hair recovers its length. At some point, exhausted, she retires to her rooms, sits before her dress table, and sees her image on the mirror. Here is when it is said my sentence. First at all, if she has her hair length back it is not clear why a part oh her is thinking of cutting the long tresses. And then this hung in her way which maybe it means her hair falls her forehead down. I don't have a clue

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Given this sentence:

Some part of her mind knew she would have to cut the long tresses hung in her way

I find some difficulty to understand "in her way" here.

The story is about a noble young woman around 16th century who is an adventurer and even a thief. She has a short black hair which she thinks is suitable for her "secret" practices which of course her respectable family doesn't know about. The tale is about a horrible experience she comes through: She has entered a mage's tallhouse she thought without his owner at the moment, but when inside, the mage appears and revenges, among other nasty things, by applying magic on her hair which grows till the waist.

The writing is not clear because when back at home, it is said all magics disappears and therefore her hair recovers its length. At some point, exhausted, she retires to her rooms, sits before her dress table, and sees her image on the mirror. Here is when it is said my sentence. First at all, if she has her hair length back it is not clear why a part oh her is thinking of cutting the long tresses. And then this hung in her way which maybe it means her hair falls her forehead down. I don't have a clue

Thanks

If something is "in your way", it means it is creating an obstacle. I would think that in this case it means that her hair was so long that it was hanging in front of her face, making it difficult to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.