Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Should there be a comma before "for example"?

In some countries, Germany for example, all the...

Thanks.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

Not in this particular instance, no. The way you have it is correct. Generally, a comma would come before 'for example', but your sentence has, in a way, inverted the words. Which is fine, of course. :)

In some countries, for example Germany, all the...

Same difference.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should there be a comma before "for example"?

Thanks.

***NOT A TEACHER***

Jasmin, good afternoon.

(1) I think that you need not use a comma because the phrase "for example" comes after your example ("Germany").

(a) Here's a sentence from Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman's popular The Grammar Book: Intensive language programs, the University of Michigan's for example, require a great deal of time.

(2) If I understand my books correctly, a comma is needed if the example follows the phrase "for example." For example, "In some countries (for example, Germany), all the ...."/ "In some countries (e.g., Germany), all the...."

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
***NOT A TEACHER***

Jasmin, good afternoon.

(1) I think that you need not use a comma because the phrase "for example" comes after your example ("Germany").

(a) Here's a sentence from Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman's popular The Grammar Book: Intensive language programs, the University of Michigan's for example, require a great deal of time.

(2) If I understand my books correctly, a comma is needed if the example follows the phrase "for example." For example, "In some countries (for example, Germany), all the ...."/ "In some countries (e.g., Germany), all the...."

But there are instances when one would put a comma before "for example" even though the actual example precedes "for example." Here are a few examples:

States and public authorities have for the most part intervened to a limited extent in sport, instead leaving the organization and regulation of sport in the hands of sports federations. In the United Kingdom, for example, the executive and legislative have traditionally concerned themselves with sport only insofar as it has affected issues of public concern such as public health, public order and public safety.

The autonomy of sports authorities emanates from national law, as each state determines its extent. In Germany, for instance, where the state has not enacted a general law of sport...

As regards international sports governing bodies, they have the status of non-governmental organizations under international law, and most of them specify in their statutes the legal form under which they are incorporated. FIFA, for instance, declares itself an association within the meaning of Articles 60 ff. of the Swiss Civil Code.

In all the examples above the comma before "for example" indicates a (in my mind) needed pause. Would you agree?

Thanks.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But there are instances when one would put a comma before "for example" even though the actual example precedes "for example." Here are a few examples:

States and public authorities have for the most part intervened to a limited extent in sport, instead leaving the organization and regulation of sport in the hands of sports federations. In the United Kingdom, for example, the executive and legislative have traditionally concerned themselves with sport only insofar as it has affected issues of public concern such as public health, public order and public safety.

The autonomy of sports authorities emanates from national law, as each state determines its extent. In Germany, for instance, where the state has not enacted a general law of sport...

As regards international sports governing bodies, they have the status of non-governmental organizations under international law, and most of them specify in their statutes the legal form under which they are incorporated. FIFA, for instance, declares itself an association within the meaning of Articles 60 ff. of the Swiss Civil Code.

In all the examples above the comma before "for example" indicates a (in my mind) needed pause. Would you agree?

Thanks.

*****NOT A TEACHER****

Good afternoon.

(1) I agree with you that a comma would not hurt.

(2) I agree with you that if I were reading it aloud, I would be more comfortable with a pause.

(3) I can understand, however, that some people (such as those ladies who wrote that very authoritative book) might (a) read it without a pause and (b) write it without a comma.

(4) As you know, the trend in English is to simplify.

(5) In fact, I read somewhere that maybe a comma does not always indicate a pause -- contrary to popular opinion.

(6) Your posts show that you do much formal writing. Maybe it would be safer to use a comma before and after.

(7) Hopefully, one of the teachers will soon answer you -- and me.

Have a great day!

kfredson

Member Type
Academic

Thanks.

Yes, I would agree. I also find it much easier to understand. Having to read as many essays as I do, that is an important consideration! I do see that there can be exceptions, as in the above examples. However, I would omit the comma only because there would otherwise be too many commas, e.g., "In some countries, for example, Germany, all the..."

Status
Not open for further replies.