Eliminating Jargon and Simplifying Language

• Thread starter Tinastroud
  • Start date
  • Views : 6,971
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tinastroud

Could you please look at the below sentences and let me know if they are correct.
I am Eliminating Jargon and Simplifying Language.

1. Per your request, Emile provided several references with her job application.
2. Reply if you wish for us to precede going forward with this matter.
3. Sarah expects to use our proposal at the department meeting Friday morning.
4. To expedite the processing of your order, please include your contact information.
5. The penultimate and ultimate reasons for hiring our firm are our proven adroitness and efficaciousness.

The number five I have not touched it at all, I am not sure about it.
thanks

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Could you please look at the below sentences and let me know if they are correct.
I am Eliminating Jargon and Simplifying Language.

1. Per your request, Emile provided several references with her job application.
2. Reply if you wish for us to precede going forward with this matter.
3. Sarah expects to use our proposal at the department meeting Friday morning.
4. To expedite the processing of your order, please include your contact information.
5. The penultimate and ultimate reasons for hiring our firm are our proven adroitness and efficaciousness.

The number five I have not touched it at all, I am not sure about it.
thanks

1. You could make it even more simple by changing 'per your request' to 'as you requested'.
2. 'Proceed' not 'precede'.
3. This is fine.
4. 'Expedite' isn't a common word. 'To speed up the processing...' is more simple.
5. "The two main reasons for hiring our firm are our proven skill and effictiveness." Something like that. I'm not sure what it means by penultimate and ultimate - those mean second-last and last, respectively, and I don't know how that fits in with 'reasons'. So, I took it to mean its the two main reasons.

ianhood

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
New Zealand
"Proceed going forward" is wrong because "proceed" means "go forward". It is called tautology (unnecessary repetition).
I am not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Proceed going forward" is wrong because "proceed" means "go forward". It is called tautology (unnecessary repetition).
I am not a teacher.
I think this use of 'going forward' was itself jargon; in modern management-speak it means 'from now on' (but with a trendy frisson of progress and self-improvement) - all the more reason to cut it out:
'Reply if you want us to proceed with this.'

Of no. 5, _Linguist said "...those mean second-last and last, respectively, and I don't know how that fits in with 'reasons'". To answer that, I'd suggest that the context must have supplied several others. For example: 'There are five reasons...' In that case you could just say 'The last two are...'.

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think this use of 'going forward' was itself jargon; in modern management-speak it means 'from now on' (but with a trendy frisson of progress and self-improvement) - all the more reason to cut it out:
b
A cardinal in Sydney was pilloried in the media recently for introducing this phrase into the Mass.
He came out with:
May God be with you, as you go forward. [!]

Status
Not open for further replies.