• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

whose

Dear all,

The following sentence "whose production......." indicates only company E? or the "whose" indicates all A,B,C,D and E companies?

"The company
    works with world leading manufacturers, such as A, B, C, D, and E, whose production today occupies a leading position in the markets of developed countries."

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: whose

Quote Originally Posted by idiotmike View Post
    Dear all,

The following sentence "whose production......." indicates only company E? or the "whose" indicates all A,B,C,D and E companies?

"The company works with world leading manufacturers, such as A, B, C, D, and E, whose production today occupies a leading position in the markets of developed countries."

Thank you
    ***NOT A TEACHER***

Mike, good morning.

(1) I think (of course, I have no proof) that most native speakers would assume that "whose" belongs to "manufacturers."

(2) In other words, that sentence = The company works with world leading manufacturers (such as A, B, C, D, and E), whose production....

(3) If the writer wanted to single out E, s/he would surely have written the sentence in another way.

(4) By the way, I think that English speakers prefer to say "leading world manufactuerers" rather than "world leading manufacturers."

Have a nice day.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: whose

Quote Originally Posted by idiotmike View Post
    Dear all,

"The company
    works with world leading manufacturers, such as A, B, C, D, and E, whose production today occupies a leading position in the markets of developed countries."

Thank you

What about : The company, whose production today occupies a leading position in the markets of developed countries, works with leading world manufacturers, such as A, B, C, D and E.

I know you don't ask specifically for this type of answer, but I give it to you just in case it is of some use.