Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The Indo-European family is composed of multifarious languages that are thought to be closely interrelated. Comparative morphological and etymological analysis can help a researcher arrive at sound conclusions with this respect.
The following picture is a model:

Last edited:

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
-This is an excerpt from Also Sprach Zarathustra. The equivalents have corresponding colors.
-The Persian one is rather influenced structurally by the original for the purpose of analysis.
-The German literary structure can be tricky; share your views with me about that.
-Can you make any generalizations?

English:

Thou great star! What would be thy happiness if thou hadst not those for whom thou shinest!

German:

Du grosses Gestirn! Was wäre dein Glück, wenn du nicht Die hättest, welchen du leuchtest!

Persian:

تو اي ستاره بزرگ! چه خواهد بود خوشنوديت، گر نمي داشتي​
آنان را كه برايشان پرتو مي افكني​

Attachments

• Comparative.JPG
    Comparative.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 8

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is SO interesting.

Here is my contribution.

greatstar.gif

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you. I suppose the German sentence can be diagramed pretty much like your English model.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I would have diagrammed the German this morning, but I didn't have time before I had to leave for school.

The German would diagram very similarly.

I take it that you know German as well as Persian and English.

It would be interesting to see how a non-IndoEuropean language would diagram.

I think Kondorosi did one in Hungarian on this forum.

I'm sure he did. If you want, I can go back and try to find it.

If you are looking back through the forum, you might want to look at the thread that reads something like "sentences as flowers".

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, I would have diagrammed the German this morning, but I didn't have time before I had to leave for school.

The German would diagram very similarly.

I take it that you know German as well as Persian and English.

Well, I like languages in general. When I deal with a particular language, I set a framework. In Arabic I'm mostly after etymological facts. German is a bit especial to me, because the most rigorous researches on the Persian language and culture were conducted by German researchers; as a result, one can find more detailed information about Persian in German. But I mostly read German literature rather than writer or speak it.

It would be interesting to see how a non-IndoEuropean language would diagram.

Yes, that's interesting; of course, I have no idea what the diagram would look like. I mean the similarities across Indo-European languages are so great that, in the majority of cases, a simple replacement of words will change a sentence from one language to another. However, it is not so with other families: a language may employ infixation like the following, with the morpheme in the between being the subject of the sentence; honestly speaking, that scares me:
Yhmeitar.

I think Kondorosi did one in Hungarian on this forum.

I'm sure he did. If you want, I can go back and try to find it.
That would be nice; of course I have no iota of information about that.

If you are looking back through the forum, you might want to look at the thread that reads something like "sentences as flowers".
I found it!
Chester

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Chester,

I would love to know more about your education and occupation. You obviously are extremely knowledgeable.

Regarding infixes...

I think the Reed-Kellogg system would have to be adjusted some how for that. I have thought before that by introducing color to the diagrams what we Americans call "agreement" and what I believe the British call "concord" could be shown.

Do you know about a website called <Livemocha.com> ? It is easy to make friends from all over the world, speaking MANY different languages there. That could be a fertile field in which to plant interest in Reed-Kellogg.

Did you find any of Kondorosi's posts yet?

Frank

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you and sorry for the delay; there’s a horrifyingly stormy season upon me, through which I have to sail with a half-broken bark. And because of that I can’t keep things in balance.

Well, about my education, I have to say that I believe in the relativity of knowledge, and that’s why formal education is not a crucial factor in my eyes. But I received academic education in translation and teaching and all the subjects pertinent to them like literature, linguistics, contrastive analysis, error analysis, research and etc.

I have also studied academic materials of psychology, but not at a university. I like psychoanalysis, philosophy, language, software programming, and anything interesting in general.
I mostly study to learn something about the universe and to give away what I’ve learnt to others.

Thank you for the address; I will certainly check it out as well as the diagrams in the Forum.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you don't mind my asking, how do you earn your living?

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I teach and translate texts mostly.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, you clearly are VERY knowledgeable about language.

I feel honored to be having these exchanges with you.

Tomorrow, I intend to tackle "Diagramming Shakespeare 26" I love that sentence.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Chester,
In your attachment, what do the colors indicate?
I can't really understand the image very well. The Persian is still written there right to left. Correct?
Frank

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Considering your view, I revised the picture: each rectangle includes a separate chunk, and the colors of each chunk are independent of those of the next rectangle. The words in red are not in English or German sentences or not existent at all in the languages. And, as you see, word-formation structures are not one-to-one; that is, a word with three morphemes in Persian is equal to three words in English and German. Can you find such an example in the picture?

And the Persian words are right-to-left. Adjective are after nouns in Persian.
The first chunk (top-left) is the easiest one. It’s an apostrophe, with the star being the entity addressed. If you find any clashes in the German sentence, please let me know.
By the way, I had to make it smaller than its actual size, which has damaged the quality.
Maybe attaching pictures is a not the best chioce. Will pasting them to the massage textbox do the trick?

Attachments

• thisone.JPG
    thisone.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 3

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How would it be to write the English from right to left? -- at least by word (not by letter). That would be interesting. English speakers could read the sentence if they cared enough to try and it would be sort of like going half way.

I hope others are watching this experiment.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, that looks very interesting.

I will have to take more time later to look at it.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear mmasy,

That article was very interesting. If I were a young man, just going into linguistics, it could be life changing.

Since I am not doing that, I was reminded of my original purpose on this website, which is to have fun diagramming sentences and to show that it can be a competitive sport.

I certainly hope that the research continues regarding that macrofamily.

Thanks,

Frank

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think I know why it’s a bit difficult for speakers of left-to-right languages to work out the writing system of other languages, while the opposite is not usually observed; but why?
It’s very simple: speakers of right-to-left languages start to learn mathematics as they learn their language, so writing from left to right is a very common habit among them.

Now let’s take a look at the first chunk. The word order of the English version is based on the Persian sentence. تو = thou, اي = Ο, ستاره= star, بزرگ = great.

تو اي ستاره بزرگ
Thou O star great!

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Frank,
I checked the website (livemocha) and found it interesting. Thank you. Membership seems to be necessary.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Wow! That’s an intricate language galaxy.

The morphological reconstruction reminds of some of the characteristics of Farsi:

v No inflectional morpheme for the third person.
v ʔaba:we have this word in Persian.It has remaned unchanged!!!
v ʔ[a]b:we also have this one which is pronounced /aab/.
v /mi/: reminds me of /man/ = I.
v /tuː/:I have already mentioned this one in my contrastive picture where I called it a prehistoric cognate.
v /mæ/: this one has remained unchanged in modern Persian.
v /q̕o/:and this one is, in Persian, pronounced /kee/ = who.
v /borV/:very intersting!!! This is in Persian pronounced /barf/ and means snow.

Thanks a lot mmansy!

I need to scrutinize it more, because I find the phonology perplexing.
I hope other members discover modern forms of the proto-forms in that list and share them with us, and also hope what Frank hopes about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.