Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Is it necessary to add "the" before "said"? I've noticed that in general "said" is not preceded by "the," but sometimes it is.

The judgment established that the examination procedure of the equivalence of a foreign diploma must be carried out in an objective manner, with the knowledge and qualifications of the applicant as the sole reference points. It thus contributed to limiting arbitrariness on the part of the Member States in such procedures. It also set out a right to judicial review in refusal situations, and entitled foreign applicants to a reasoned opinion as to why their application was rejected. As a result, state authorities must conform to a fairness standard in said procedures.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I prefer "the".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "the" is necessary but I don't like "arbitrariness". I would prefer "arbitration" or "dispute".

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I don't think "the" is necessary but I don't like "arbitrariness". I would prefer "arbitration" or "dispute".

"Arbitrariness" has nothing to do with "arbitration" or "dispute," and "arbitrariness" is what I mean to say.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Arbitrariness" has nothing to do with "arbitration" or "dispute," and "arbitrariness" is what I mean to say.
"Arbitrariness" is absolutely fine. I agree with Raymott about "the".

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
It was my assumption that putting a comma before "and" in the sentence below would be correct, but now I've read an article that contradicts my assumption.

It also set out a right to judicial review in refusal situations, and entitled foreign applicants to a reasoned opinion as to why their application was rejected.

A comma is used to separate two independent clauses, and I thought "and entitled ... rejected." was an independent clause. An independent clause comprises a subject and a verb, and although the subject is not repeated after "and," I thought the fact that it's understood is the same as if it were repeated. But I guess it's not.

In other words, if I had written "It also set out a right to judicial review in refusal situations, and it entitled foreign applicants to a reasoned opinion as to why their application was rejected." the sentence would be correct, but it's not without "it" after "and."

Status
Not open for further replies.