Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

I just wonder if it is correct to say "I was so naive to believe that life IS easy"; Or should I change 'IS' to 'WAS' to make a right sentence?

Thanks!

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hi,

I just wonder if it is correct to say "I was so naive to believe that life IS easy"; Or should I change 'IS' to 'WAS' to make a right sentence?

Thanks!

I don't think it makes sense to say that "life was easy," unless you modify it to show you are dealing with a previous time: "Life was easy, back in the days before the Great War."

I assume that in your sentence you are speaking about life as it is in these times. In that case, the sentence makes sense as you have written it.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
What about:
I was so naive to believe that life would be easy. :?:
If it's okay, you could switch would be with was/were, or not?

Cheers!

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Thanks!

Yes, this is a complex sentence and since the verb in the main clause is in the past, the verb of the sub clause should be in the past (was).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

Thanks!
I would use 'was'.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would prefer to say, "I was so naive as to believe that life IS easy". ("life" as used in this expression hasn't ended).

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
What about:
I was so naive to believe that life would be easy. :?:
If it's okay, you could switch would be with was/were, or not?

Cheers!

Yes, you could write "would be" but it does change the sense of the sentence somewhat. And no, I don't think it suggests that "was" is a good alternative.

I still feel that the sentence as originally stated makes perfect sense.
"I was so naive to believe that life is easy."

Yes, you can put it in the past ("life was easy") but this does change the meaning. Generally you would modify this by saying, "I was so naive to believe that life was easy back in those earlier times" (for example.)

But I would love to get more comments on this. There seems to be disagreement. How about those of you Europeans who were enjoying your sleep when this was first posed? What say you?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, you could write "would be" but it does change the sense of the sentence somewhat. And no, I don't think it suggests that "was" is a good alternative.

I still feel that the sentence as originally stated makes perfect sense.
"I was so naive to believe that life is easy."

Yes, you can put it in the past ("life was easy") but this does change the meaning. Generally you would modify this by saying, "I was so naive to believe that life was easy back in those earlier times" (for example.)

But I would love to get more comments on this. There seems to be disagreement. How about those of you Europeans who were enjoying your sleep when this was first posed? What say you?
I would use "was" , but I agree that "is" makes sense. However, there is something I don't like about this sentence, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
I would use "was" , but I agree that "is" makes sense. However, there is something I don't like about this sentence, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

Why, dear bhaisahab, would you use "was" when you think that "is" makes more sense? I'm interested.

The sentence is, indeed, on the precipice of becoming awkward -- or at least colloquial -- but I actually like it.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Why, dear bhaisahab, would you use "was" when you think that "is" makes more sense? I'm interested.

The sentence is, indeed, on the precipice of becoming awkward -- or at least colloquial -- but I actually like it.
I didn't say it makes more sense, just that it makes sense.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.