Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If someone breaks the traffic rules and drives through when the light is red, what other expressions can we use to describe this situation?

make the lights / a red light?
jump the lights / a red light?

Thank you in advance.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Either with jump- to me, if you make the lights, you speed up to get through when they're still green.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Id' say you ran a red light.

(If you "jump the light" that means to me that you didn't wait for it to really turn green. It was still red when you started going, perhaps because you saw it had turned yellow for the other direction and no one was coming.)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Id' say you ran a red light.

(If you "jump the light" that means to me that you didn't wait for it to really turn green. It was still red when you started going, perhaps because you saw it had turned yellow for the other direction and no one was coming.)
In BrE it's "jump" where Americans say "ran".

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
In BrE it's "jump" where Americans say "ran".

That is very interesting. Would you also use "jump" if you were to go through the light just after it turned red? That is how we Yanks use "ran." If we went through the red just before it turned red we might say "jumped." That is much less common, however. We are normally runners and not jumpers!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
That is very interesting. Would you also use "jump" if you were to go through the light just after it turned red? That is how we Yanks use "ran." If we went through the red just before it turned red we might say "jumped." That is much less common, however. We are normally runners and not jumpers!
Yes, if we go through a light just after it turns red, we have jumped it. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in the UK say that they had run a red light. It seems we are jumpers rather than runners. Incidentally in France they "grille le rouge", literally "burn the red".

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... whereas, in order to get to the lights before they turn red, one might 'burn rubber'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.