Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
American Samoa
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi, I need to know whether I can use 'when' in place of 'in which' in the following sentence:

This is a situation in which no single party possesses a majority of seats in the House of Commons

Could I change it to something like this:

This is a situation when no single party possesses a majority of seats in the House of Commons

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many teachers (and probably all examining bodies) would prefer 'in which'. I'm not a fan, and tend to say "where" or "when"; none of them is ideal - but this isn't the sort of forum in which I should say why I think so!

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, I need to know whether I can use 'when' in place of 'in which' in the following sentence:

This is a situation in which no single party possesses a majority of seats in the House of Commons

This is a situation when no single party possesses a majority of seats in the House of Commons
No, you'd need "where", not "when".

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

My opinion is that a situation is not a 'when' or a 'where', although those two words are not infrequently used when referring to a situation.

I think a situation is a '(in) which' or a 'that'.

So I would keep your original sentence, or say something like 'This is a situation that has no single party possessing a majority........'.

Status
Not open for further replies.