1. Unregistered

As Vs Like

Hi,

I am a native English speaker, I am currenly teaching classes as part of my Erasmus year away and seeing as I have never learnt English grammar it is sometimes difficult when a student asks me why or asks about a certain grammar point!! because I just know what sounds wrong or right, but not the reason behind it.

Last week a student asked me about the difference between as and like. I have looked into this and I have taken a handout from this site also to use in class. But I have a couple of sentences I am not sure about....

1. I regard them as friends
    2. I gave it to her as a present
    3. Considered as a whole, the project is very good
    4. I feel like a holiday
    5. I'll do it as agreed

Could you help me please by explaining why As and Like is used in each sentence...?

Many thanks, K.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: As Vs Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I am a native English speaker, I am currenly teaching classes as part of my Erasmus year away and seeing as I have never learnt English grammar it is sometimes difficult when a student asks me why or asks about a certain grammar point!! because I just know what sounds wrong or right, but not the reason behind it.

Last week a student asked me about the difference between as and like. I have looked into this and I have taken a handout from this site also to use in class. But I have a couple of sentences I am not sure about....

1. I regard them as friends
    2. I gave it to her as a present
    3. Considered as a whole, the project is very good
    4. I feel like a holiday
    5. I'll do it as agreed

Could you help me please by explaining why As and Like is used in each sentence...?

Many thanks, K.

***NOT A TEACHER***

Good afternoon.

(1) Grammar books, dictionaries, and teachers differ on how to parse (analyze) those little words.

(2) I regard them AS friends.
    (a)AS introduces FRIENDS.
    (b) FRIENDS refers to THEM.
    (c) In that kind of sentence, AS can be described as an introductory word/ expletive/particle/ fossilized conjunction. Its only job is to introduce FRIENDS.
    (d) Some people even use the word "preposition" to describe AS. I believe, however, that would NOT be accurate. It IS a preposition in : Tom works as a clerk. In that sentence, "as" = in the role of.

(3) I gave it AS a present. Same analysis.

(4) Considered as a whole, the project is good.
    (a) I think (only my opinion) that it is a short way to say: (If/when it is) considered as a whole, the project is good.
    (b)AS introduces A WHOLE. A WHOLE refers to "It."
    (c) Compare: If you consider it AS a whole, the project ....

(5) I feel like a holiday.
    (a) A famous grammarian says that "feel like" = an idiom = to want.
    (b) He says this combination is a verb (feel) + a preposition (like).
    (c) A very good dictionary agrees that "like" in this combination is a preposition.
    (d) I feel like a holiday./I feel like taking a holiday./ I feel like (eating) Chinese food tonight.

(6) I will do it as agreed.
    (a) One of my favorite grammar books says this kind of sentence probably = I will do it as (I/we) agreed (to do it). Since AS connects two clauses (sentences), AS would be a (subordinating) conjunction.

If you have any more questions, the great teachers at this website are waiting to help you. They have helped me a lot.

Thank you.