[General] Punctuation for multiple quotations w/i same sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGuy

Member Type
Other
I haven’t been able to find an answer for this one anywhere. What is the correct punctuation between the multiple quotations in the following sentence?

Next time you watch a news program notice how many times the anchors use words, phrases, or questions like these: “May” “Might” “Could” “Let’s get his take on this.” “What do you think he will say?” “What do you think he was trying to say?” “What do you think he will do?”

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
I haven’t been able to find an answer for this one anywhere. What is the correct punctuation between the multiple quotations in the following sentence?

Next time you watch a news program notice how many times the anchors use words, phrases, or questions like these: “May” “Might” “Could” “Let’s get his take on this.” “What do you think he will say?” “What do you think he was trying to say?” “What do you think he will do?”

I would say put a comma/semi-colon between each. I prefer to use semi-colons for lists which contain sentences, as yours does, so I'd use that, but I think it's personal choice which you use.

PGuy

Member Type
Other
I would say put a comma/semi-colon between each. I prefer to use semi-colons for lists which contain sentences, as yours does, so I'd use that, but I think it's personal choice which you use.

Thank you.

You are probably right, but I noticed I put this question under the wrong category so I am going to resubmit it to see what comes up.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.