Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"Did I really earn this, or did I just wear you all down?"

What does "did I just wear you all down?" mean?

Thanks a lot.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Did I really earn this, or did I just wear you all down?"

What does "did I just wear you all down?" mean?

Thanks a lot.

This can be a response after a long and tiring interview when the selectors unanimously announced your selection/success that took you by surprise, because you carried on with your witty answers, thereby prolonging the interview and keep them engaged till all of them feel exhausted. Normally, the selectors have the upper hand to wear the candidate down.

It can be simply rephrased as: Am I really worthy of this honor, or did I only make you all feel exhausted after such a long interview, instead of the other way round?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This was Sandra Bullock receiving her Oscar. It struck me as a bit strange when I heard it - since, as in the case of that 'interview' example, it suggests persistence - as if SB had kept on trying to win an Oscar. (Perhaps I'm being naive, thinking that earning a nomination is a result of spectacular work as an actor rather than hard work as a self-publicist.)

I also wondered whether she was using the 'southern' y'all, to make herself sound more folksy - but I have no idea where she comes from.

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.