Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #1

    Cool bulled somebody from the front

    What does "bulled somebody from the front" mean?

    Circumstances are three friends (two of them safeguards of a lord) are in the street. One of the safeguards sees something is falling front the top of a building, and the complete sentence says:

    Standing in the street, looking up, one safeguard suddenly yanked the lord back while the other one bulled him from the front, yelling, "Move!"

    Thank You

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 40
    #2

    Re: bulled somebody from the front

    My guess is that it's a typographical error and it should be pulled, not bulled.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #3

    Re: bulled somebody from the front

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    What does "bulled somebody from the front" mean?

    Circumstances are three friends (two of them safeguards of a lord) are in the street. One of the safeguards sees something is falling front the top of a building, and the complete sentence says:

    Standing in the street, looking up, one safeguard suddenly yanked the lord back while the other one bulled him from the front, yelling, "Move!"

    Thank You
    It means "pushed hard" I would imagine.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    #4

    Re: bulled somebody from the front

    (Not a teacher)

    From Dictionary.com:
    Bull

    ...

    –verb (used with object)11.Stock Exchange. to attempt to raise the price of.

    12.to speculate in, in expectation of a rise in price.

    13.to force; shove: 'to bull one's way through a crowd'

    14.Nautical. to ram (a buoy).




    The definition in bold is the one used here.

  3. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #5

    Re: bulled somebody from the front

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    What does "bulled somebody from the front" mean?

    Circumstances are three friends (two of them safeguards of a lord) are in the street. One of the safeguards sees something is falling front the top of a building, and the complete sentence says:

    Standing in the street, looking up, one safeguard suddenly yanked the lord back while the other one bulled him from the front, yelling, "Move!"

    Thank You
    Bushwhacker, what is the country of origin of the sentence?

    This sentence would not be common usage in North America. We use the term 'bodyguard' for individuals who are paid to protect individuals from harm. And, we would never say 'bulled him from the front'.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #6

    Re: bulled somebody from the front

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Bushwhacker, what is the country of origin of the sentence?

    This sentence would not be common usage in North America. We use the term 'bodyguard' for individuals who are paid to protect individuals from harm. And, we would never say 'bulled him from the front'.
    They are American amigos, have a look at this: Forgotten Realms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #7

    Re: bulled somebody from the front

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    They are American amigos, have a look at this: Forgotten Realms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for the point of reference, bhaisahab! The next time I'm conversing with dwarves, elves, goblins, and orcs I will remember to thank the 'safeguard' who 'bulled me from the front'!

  6. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #8

    Re: bulled somebody from the front

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    It seems that the writer was trying to find words that would fit in with the world he was creating. I suppose that, if I was writing about a pre-industrial world, I would use such words. The reality is that these words would not be normally used or understood in the U.S.
    I doubt the expression would be understood in Barcelona, either!!!

  7. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    #9

    Cool Re: bulled somebody from the front

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    I doubt the expression would be understood in Barcelona, either!!!
    Not at all. You can bet on it

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Usage of front, back, behind
    By daemon99 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2009, 13:52
  2. [Grammar] In front of & at the front of
    By Open-minded in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2009, 18:19
  3. in front at front
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2008, 21:06
  4. at front /on front
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2006, 15:17
  5. before and in front of
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 24-May-2005, 07:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •