[General] table(v)/all at table/into her tenure as/train/turnout/rush/file/in the light of/

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

I have signed the resignation of the government and I will not hesitate to table it if you put me under pressure," PM Boyko Borissov said during talks with farmers, commenting the strikes of medical workers across the country.

table = propose; bring up for discussion/submit for discussion

We will table that for later.

table = to postpone consideration of (a piece of legislation, for example); shelve

The telephone call came while they were all at table.

at the table = at a meal; at the dinner table

Months into her tenure as the European Union high representative for foreign affairs, Catherine Ashton has announced she is discussing with Israel the possibility of traveling to Gaza as part of a Middle East tour this month.

tenure = the holding of something, such as a position

[FONT=&quot]A hungry Fox saw some fine bunches of Grapes hanging from a vine that was trained along a high trellis, and did his best to reach them by jumping as high as he could into the air. [/FONT]

train = to cause (a plant or one's hair) to take a desired course or shape, as by manipulating; to hang or cause to hang down and be pulled along behind:

Iraqis Defy Blasts in Strong Turnout for Pivotal Election

turnout = attendance for a particular event or purpose (as to vote in an election)

While at home, he finishes the complaint for the case he has been assigned and then brings it to his office, leaving instructions for his assistants to file the complaint in court on the following day, which marks the end of the statute of limitations for the case.

statute of limitations = a statute setting a time limit on legal action in certain cases

Beckett suffers from bowel spasms at home and is rushed to the hospital.

to rush to the hospital = to drive to the hospital hastily

However, the complaint is finally discovered and is filed with the court at the last possible moment.

file = register; apply, represent documents

The following day, Beckett is dismissed by the firm's partners, who had previously referred to him as their "friend", but now question his professional abilities in light of the misplaced document.

in light of = in consideration of, in relationship to

The teacher changed John's grade in the light of the extra work in the workbook.

in light of = as a result of new information; by means of new ideas

In light of the muddy field, the football team wore their old uniforms.

in light of = because of

Schools were closed for the day in view of the heavy snowstorm.

in view of = after thinking about; because of

In view of rising labor costs, many companies have turned to automation.

in view of = in the light of

Unable to find a lawyer willing to represent him, Beckett is compelled to act as his own attorney.

to act as his own attorney = to act in person

Miller, who is admittedly homophobic and knows little about Beckett's disease, initially declines to take the case and immediately visits his doctor to find out if he could have contracted the disease through shaking Beckett's hand.

find out = discover through examination or inquiry

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Last edited:

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
If something is done under the table, it is a secret, hidden action

I have signed the resignation of the government and I will not hesitate to table it if you put me under pressure," PM Boyko Borissov said during talks with farmers, commenting the strikes of medical workers across the country.

table = propose; bring up for discussion/submit for discussion Ok(used as verb)

We will table that for later. Ok (used as verb)
Or
We will put that proposal on the table later. (Idiom)
table = to postpone consideration of (a piece of legislation, for example); shelve

In India, there is a race at the top to earn more under the table to become millionaire..(Idiom)

The telephone call came while they were all at the table.

at the table = at a meal; at the dinner table

For a perfect table etiquette when you are at the table and once all the food has been served, don't begin to help yourself to food until invited to do so by the host or someone elder to you.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

I agree with some additions as above.

Last edited:
Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.