Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Hello,

My first post here :)
I'd like to know how do you understand the word 'corresponding' in the sentence below. Could it be replaced by 'similar'? Any other synonym that would fit the sentence?

Decreasing emissions early this century will have a corresponding effect on reducing the maximum sea level rises.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

No, it's not "similar." A better choice would be "resulting."

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hello,

I'd like to know how do you understand the word 'corresponding' in the sentence below. Could it be replaced by 'similar'? Any other synonym that would fit the sentence?

Decreasing emissions early this century will have a corresponding effect on reducing the maximum sea level rises.

I find the sentence to be somewhat confusing and would suggest you rewrite it. For instance, you might say the following: "Decreasing emissions early this century will have the effect of reducing the maximum rise in sea level."

I am not sure what role "corresponding" (or, for that matter, "similar") plays here. Corresponding to what? Perhaps there is an earlier sentence to which you are referring. It can't be a corresponding effect to that of decreasing emissions, since decreasing emissions is a cause, and not an effect.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Decreasing emissions early this century will reduce the rise in sea level.

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Thanks for your comments. Maybe I should have given you a bit more context and background.
The sentence is taken from an article and was adapted for an English competition task where students will have to change words in bold with given synonyms. 'Corresponding' is the 'original' word and one of the teacher suggested 'similar' as a synonym and I didn't agree... However, I couldn't find a more appropriate word instead...

So 'do you think that 'resulting effect' is OK?

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Sorry, I forgot to paste this:
'The 1.9m increase will occur if greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase on their present trajectory which happens to be the worst-case scenario of the IPCC. Decreasing emissions early this century will have a corresponding effect on reducing the maximum sea level rises,' the scientists said.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I forgot to paste this:
'The 1.9m increase will occur if greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase on their present trajectory which happens to be the worst-case scenario of the IPCC. Decreasing emissions early this century will have a corresponding effect on reducing the maximum sea level rises,' the scientists said.

This smacks of lazy journalism. If the scientists said 'corresponding' they must have mentioned a previous rise, to base the correspondence on (something like 'There was a rise when X happened, and there will be a corresponding rise...'); X might have been something to with the Industrial Revolution. In that case, I'd say 'similar' would come close(-ish) to the intended meaning; 'comparable' would be better. But I agree with Barb that, if you consider just that quote,; 'similar' isn't a synonym.

b

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
I agree. It makes sense. Previous rise (because of melting ice sheets and mountain glaciers) has been mentioned before.

Thanks for your help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I'd assume they mean 'proportionate'.
That is, the more we decrease emissions, the more effect it will have on reducing the sea level rises.

The 1.9m increase will occur if greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase on their present trajectory which happens to be the worst-case scenario of the IPCC. Decreasing emissions early this century will have a corresponding effect on reducing the maximum sea level rises,' the scientists said.

The correspondence is here:
As '1.9m' is to 'the projected greenhouse gas emissions', so is: 'less sea level rise' to 'decreasing emissions'.

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
I'd assume they mean 'proportionate'.
That is, the more we decrease emissions, the more effect it will have on reducing the sea level rises.

The 1.9m increase will occur if greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase on their present trajectory which happens to be the worst-case scenario of the IPCC. Decreasing emissions early this century will have a corresponding effect on reducing the maximum sea level rises,' the scientists said.

The correspondence is here:
As '1.9m' is to 'the projected greenhouse gas emissions', so is: 'less sea level rise' to 'decreasing emissions'.

I agree. Thanks a lot. Sometimes it's difficult to think of an appropriate word.
Anyway, I think that thesaurus should be upgraded as it didn't offer an appropriate synonym:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree. Thanks a lot. Sometimes it's difficult to think of an appropriate word.
Anyway, I think that thesaurus should be upgraded as it didn't offer an appropriate synonym:)
But if 'corresponding' was not the right word for the meaning, how would a thesaurus help anyway? Wouldn't it simply give you a whole lot of other words that are inappropriate? :)

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
But if 'corresponding' was not the right word for the meaning, how would a thesaurus help anyway? Wouldn't it simply give you a whole lot of other words that are inappropriate? :)

Yes, that is true. But it can help give you ideas which can then be tested out here!

Mzungu39

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia

'Corresponding' was the original word. When we wanted to replace it by a synonym we got to the problem, and thesaurus was of no help.

Status
Not open for further replies.