Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
May I know the meaning of the following sentences, particularly those phrases have been highlighted?

1. People tend to spiral if they stub their toe getting out of bed. Their whole day goes like that.

2. He has your interest at heart.

3. You are most likely to be recognized by your boss for having gone to unusual length.

Tks / ju

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
May I know the meaning of the following sentences, particularly those phrases have been highlighted?

1. People tend to spiral if they stub their toe getting out of bed. Their whole day goes like that.

2. He has your interest at heart.

3. You are most likely to be recognized by your boss for having gone to unusual length.

Tks / ju

1. I'm sorry, I have no idea. I cannot come up with anything useful for this. To spiral means to spin in circles, but I don't think people generally do this if they stub their toe. To stub your toe means to accidentally walk into something hard with your foot, which will make your toe hurt!

2. I believe this should be "He has your BEST INTERESTS at heart". This means that he is being considerate to the things that you want or need most.

3. "go to unusual lengths" is not terribly common, but it means that you have worked harder than was absolutely necessary. I would normally use "go to extra lengths" or "go the extra mile" (a little colloquial).

Status
Not open for further replies.