Can you please check my review of a movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenix

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm preparing for FCE, and I'm practicing some writing...here's my review of a movie. Please correct my mistakes (if you find any) and give me some suggestions and advice...Thanks in advance

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

This recently released adventurous action movie, tells a story of the famous detective Sherlock Holmes (played by Robert Downey Jr.) and his asistant Dr. Watson (played by Jude Law) in one of their most peculiar cases.

The plot itself is rather different than most similar movies, beecause this time, it starts off with the capturing of a serial killer, Lord Blackwood (played by Mark Strong), who is believed to be using dark magic in his crimes. After he's been hanged and buried, he appears to have risen from the grave. The case is re-opened, and the killings start again.

There is a lot of witty humor in the movie, and a few stunnigly remeberable scenes as well. The thing you'll absolutely love is definitely the cast, and how they succeeded in presenting the characters and their personalities in such impending detail. The only thing you might find rather annoying is the fact than none of the main good characters ever gets hurt, no matter how hard they were hit, or from what hight they fell. But you can expect that in a movie like this. Either way, I would highly recommend it, for ones who want to have some fun and excitement, because this movie is full of it.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some suggestions and spelling corrections (underlined). Otherwise, nice description/review.

"This recently released adventure-action movie, tells a story of the famous detective Sherlock Holmes (played by Robert Downey Jr.) and his assistant Dr. Watson (played by Jude Law) in one of their most peculiar cases.

The plot itself is rather different from most movies , because this time, it starts off with the capture of a serial killer, Lord Blackwood (played by Mark Strong), who is believed to be using dark magic in his crimes. After he's been hanged and buried, he appears to have risen from the grave. The case is re-opened, and the killings start again.

There is a lot of witty humor in the movie, and a few stunningly memorable scenes as well. You'll absolutely love the cast, and how they succeed in presenting the characters and their personalities in such ?impending? (?impressive?) detail. The only thing you might find rather annoying is the fact than none of the main, good characters ever get hurt, no matter how hard they are hit, or from what height they fall. But you can expect that in a movie like this. Either way, I would highly recommend it, for those who want to have some fun and excitement, because this movie has it all."

SamiAri

Member Type
English Teacher
Looks billmcd did a great job already.

Few things

stunningly memorable sounds a bit off. Try another word instead of stunningly.

in such ?impending? (?impressive?) = in a very impressive manner ?

I noticed you mentioned the word "rather" more than once. With the review being short it might sound repetitive to the reader.

"The only thing you might find rather annoying is the fact than none of the main, good characters ever get hurt, no matter how hard they are hit, or from what height they fall.

Maybe take the rather in the above paragraph. 'none of the "good guys" are ever hurt'.

But you can expect that in a movie like this. Either way, I would highly recommend it, for those who want to have some fun and excitement, because this movie has it all."

"but that's expected of a movie like this". "because this movie has both" You can't say this movie has it all when you just said this movie has fun and excitement.

Hope this helps. Great review, make me want to watch it now!

ThePhoenix

Member Type
Student or Learner
...Thank you guys... :D How about this, then?

This recently released adventure-action movie, tells a story of the famous detective Sherlock Holmes (played by Robert Downey Jr.) and his assistant Dr. Watson (played by Jude Law) in one of their most peculiar cases.

The plot itself is rather different from most similar movies, because this time, it starts off with the capture of a serial killer, Lord Blackwood (played by Mark Strong), who is believed to be using dark magic in his crimes. After he's been hanged and burried, he appears to have risen from the grave. The case is re-opened, and the killings start again.

There is a lot of witty humor in the movie, and a few strikingly memorable scenes as well. You'll absolutely love the cast, and their brilliance in presenting the characters and their personalities in such remarkable detail. The only thing you might find pretty annoying is the fact than none of the good characters ever gets hurt, no matter how hard they are hit, or from what height they fall. But you can expect that in a movie like this. Either way, I would highly reccomend it to those who want to have some fun and excitement, because this movie has it all.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still like "get" in this case but "none" can go both ways, but I usually test "none" with is/are and I like the plural form better. "None of us are going to get upset if you use 'is'". But, nice work. Thanks also to SamiAri.

ThePhoenix

Member Type
Student or Learner
I still like "get" in this case but "none" can go both ways, but I usually test "none" with is/are and I like the plural form better. "None of us are going to get upset if you use 'is'". But, nice work. Thanks also to SamiAri.

Thanks a lot...but to me it does sound better with ''gets''...but if it can be used both ways...than it's ok I guess... :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.