Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I don't understand the last part (in black) of the following sentence talking about a woman who is locked in a room.

Her wrist manacles encircled a stout post where plaster was gouged from the wall

I can't get the picture.

Thanks for the help

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't understand the last part (in black) of the following sentence talking about a woman who is locked in a room.

Her wrist manacles encircled a stout post where plaster was gouged from the wall

I can't get the picture.

Thanks for the help
It doesn't conjure up anything for me either.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Her wrist manacles encircled a stout post -This sentence is clear
plaster was gouged from the wall- So is this one.

Her wrist manacles encircled a stout post where plaster was gouged from the wall- When two sentences are combined, I can't picture it either.

It would make sense if "where" was replaced with "on which the", and the sentence becomes;

Her wrist manacles encircled a stout post on which the plaster gouged from the wall.

But the problem is that if the post is as stout as it is described, how she is able to move it.

Maybe you should give us the whole paragraph.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Her wrist manacles encircled a stout post where plaster was gouged from

The manacles were attached to the wall. When she pulled on them, she would have also pulled on their attachments to the wall. The wall was made from plaster. The plaster would be worn away from all the pulling and rubbing on the wall.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It doesn't conjure up anything for me either.

The first part seems to be clear. There is a woman who has manacles which force her to embrace a stout post, kind of Christ torment. The post is between her body and her hands... or maybe the manacles are linked to the post ¿? But in the second part, plaster seems to be over the post according to this where... and all the rest is quite blurred...

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The first part seems to be clear. There is a woman who has manacles which force her to embrace a stout post, kind of Christ torment. The post is between her body and her hands. But the second part... or maybe the manacles are linked to the post ¿? But plaster seems to be over the post according to this where... and all the rest is quite blurred...

Yes, if the post is sticking out of the wall, and she is hanged by the chain of the manacle which encircles the post, the first part is understood, but for the plaster part, I have no clue. The post should not be sticking out but be parallel to somehow gouge the plaster off the wall.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Her wrist manacles encircled a stout post where plaster was gouged from

The manacles were attached to the wall. When she pulled on them, she would have also pulled on their attachments to the wall. The wall was made from plaster. The plaster would be worn away from all the pulling and rubbing on the wall.

Thanks.

And this stout post? If she is attached to the manacles, and the manacles to the wall, where is this post the manacles encircle?

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, if the post is sticking out of the wall, and she is hanged by the chain of the manacle which encircles the post, the first part is understood, but for the plaster part, I have no clue. The post should not be sticking out but be parallel to somehow gouge the plaster off the wall.

Yes. I think the same. Maybe the sentence is absolutely a mess :up: Thank You anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.