• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

wont/use

Could you give me as many examples of the first word's usage as possible? It's almost impossible to find anything on the web, because people write "won't" as "wont". I know it can be an adjective, a noun, and a verb. Could you think of any sentences with them? I have some in my dictionary, but this is little. The thing that I understand least is the verb part. They say it is usually used with to-infinitive. So are there any cases when it's used differently?

I would also love to hear from you what you think about the word. Is it popular? How formal is it? Is it maybe just a literary word?

The next word is "use" in its similar meaning. The following sentences come from Merriam-Webster:

Sit here by the window with your hand in mine ... both of one mind, as married people use. (Andrea del Sarto by Robert Browning : The Poetry Foundation [poem] : Find Poems and Poets. Discover Poetry.)

He does not use to be last on these occasions.
    (Full text of "Lillo's dramatic works, with memoirs of the author")

Use to have tallyho parties out on the ... pike when we where young. Anne G. Winslow

If he didn't quit using around there she would make trouble for him.
    (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain (chapter6))

I think I don't understand the third one and I can't find the context, as you can see. I can't get it why she used 'use' in the present tense.

How often can these things be encountered in modern speech and writing? On what occasions?

Can I put the word "wont" in the place of "use" in the first sentence?
    Last edited by mmasny; 18-Mar-2010 at 17:50.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: wont/use

***NOT A TEACHER***

mmasny, good morning.

(1) I just thought you would like to know something.

(a) Like everyone else, I always used "won't" for the contraction of "will not."

(b) I never asked myself the obvious question: Why does "won't" have an O if "will" has an I?

(c) I stumbled across the answer a few years ago: Many years ago, the English people had another word for "will." That word was "woll."

(d) Therefore, the contraction for "woll not" became "won't." When the English people started using "will," they "borrowed" the contraction "won't" as a contraction for "will not."

Have a nice day!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER***

mmasny, good morning.

(1) I just thought you would like to know something.

(a) Like everyone else, I always used "won't" for the contraction of "will not."

(b) I never asked myself the obvious question: Why does "won't" have an O if "will" has an I?

(c) I stumbled across the answer a few years ago: Many years ago, the English people had another word for "will." That word was "woll."

(d) Therefore, the contraction for "woll not" became "won't." When the English people started using "will," they "borrowed" the contraction "won't" as a contraction for "will not."

Have a nice day!
    It doesn't answer any of my questions, as I asked about the word "wont" (be accustomed, etc.).
    But it's very interesting and I didn't know that. Thank you!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmasny View Post
    Could you give me as many examples of the first word's usage as possible? It almost impossible to find anything on the web, because people write "won't" as "wont". I know it can be an adjective, a noun, and a verb. Could you think of any sentences with them? I have some in my dictionary, but this is little. The thing that I understand least is the verb part. They say it is usually used with to-infinitive. So are there any cases when it's used differently?

I would also love to hear from you what you think about the word. Is it popular? How formal is it? Is it maybe just a literary word?

The next word is "use" in its similar meaning. The following sentences come from Merriam-Webster:

Sit here by the window with your hand in mine ... both of one mind, as married people use. (Andrea del Sarto by Robert Browning : The Poetry Foundation [poem] : Find Poems and Poets. Discover Poetry.)

He does not use to be last on these occasions.
    (Full text of "Lillo's dramatic works, with memoirs of the author")

Use to have tallyho parties out on the ... pike when we where young. Anne G. Winslow

If he didn't quit using around there she would make trouble for him.
    (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain (chapter6))

I think I don't understand the third one and I can't find the context, as you can see. I can't get it why she used 'use' in the present tense.

How often can these things be encountered in modern speech and writing? On what occasions?

Can I put the word "wont" in the place of "use" in the first sentence?
    You seem to have two different problems here. For the use of "wont" [which I have only met in legal documents], try the British Corpus: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC).

I would start a new thread on the uses of "use".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

There are certainly two different problems here. The only thing that connects them is the last question and synonymia. But starting another thread would just mean copying part of this post to another one. If it's necessary, I can do that.

• Post Thanks / Like

Seems a good idea!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Seems a good idea!
    OK
    EDIT: I'll put a link to that new thread here:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...g-customs.html
    Last edited by mmasny; 13-Mar-2010 at 19:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    You seem to have two different problems here. For the use of "wont" [which I have only met in legal documents], try the British Corpus: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC).

I would start a new thread on the uses of "use".
    Thank you very much for the link!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

***NOT A TEACHER***

mmasny, good afternoon.

(1) "Wont" is not a word that most Americans ever use.

(2) Probably only a few "mature" (older) people like me know that it exists.

(3) If someone were to use it, other people might think s/he were trying to "show off" what elegant English s/he speaks.

(4) Until you asked the question, I had heard of it only as a noun: He takes a walk every day, as is his wont.

(5) Have you already read the entry for "wont" in the famous MODERN ENGLISH USAGE by H. W. Fowler?

(a) It tells you how it is used as an adjective, verb, and noun.

(6) If you can't find the book or more information on the Web, I would be honored to tell you what Mr. Fowler writes. I know that you are a very serious student.

Have a nice day.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    (5) Have you already read the entry for "wont" in the famous MODERN ENGLISH USAGE by H. W. Fowler?

(a) It tells you how it is used as an adjective, verb, and noun.

(6) If you can't find the book or more information on the Web, I would be honored to tell you what Mr. Fowler writes.
    There's a lot about the book on the web. But I don't see its content anywhere. Do you think it's worth buying? I am not a rich person, so I'd like to make sure
    I would be very grateful to you if you told me what he wrote, but I don't want to make you put too much effort into teaching me this.
    Last edited by mmasny; 13-Mar-2010 at 23:25.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast