[Idiom] die to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRACIELA ESTER

Member Type
English Teacher
In a movie I heard a woman say:"My son died to Saddam Hussein". I have not been able to find this idiom in the dictionary, but I believe it means that Hussein was responsible for her son´s death. Am I right?
Thank you.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a movie I heard a woman say:"My son died to Saddam Hussein". I have not been able to find this idiom in the dictionary, but I believe it means that Hussein was responsible for her son´s death. Am I right?
Thank you.
Could it be: "My son died for Saddam Hussein."?:?:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you.
Of what ethnicity or language background was the speaker?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you.
Could it be: "My son's death is due to Saddam Hussein."? :?:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could it be: "My son died for Saddam Hussein."?:?:

The meaning would be different from the meaning suggested in the original post- it suggests that the son gave his life for Saddam Hussein, though the negative sense of responsibility could come from the mother alone, thinking the sacrifice had been in vain or a waste.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The meaning would be different from the meaning suggested in the original post- it suggests that the son gave his life for Saddam Hussein, though the negative sense of responsibility could come from the mother alone, thinking the sacrifice had been in vain or a waste.
But, Tdol, can we actually figure out the meaning suggested in the original post?? We need more context before we can determine whether we are dealing with a positive or negative response. ;-) Since Graciela has not responded to subsequent posts we may never know the true context!

Status
Not open for further replies.