Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
n
[FONT=&#23435]There is a sentence concerning subjunctive mood.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]_______if I had arrived yesterday without letting you know know beforehand? [/FONT][FONT=&#23435] [/FONT]
n
[FONT=&#23435]A. Would you be surprised [/FONT]
n
[FONT=&#23435]B. Were you surprised[/FONT][FONT=&#23435] [/FONT]
n[FONT=&#23435]C. Had you been surprised [/FONT]n[FONT=&#23435] D. Would you have been surprised [/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435][/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]It seems to me A and D can both be correct here. Could you tell me which is correct? Thank you very much[/FONT]

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
D is the best option, and A is also correct. I certainly would not say "had you been surprised," but it might actually be correct as well, although one would use it only in a very formal context. Let's wait and see what a teacher has to say.

Not a teacher.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
n
[FONT=&#23435]There is a sentence concerning subjunctive mood.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]_______if I had arrived yesterday without letting you know know beforehand? [/FONT]
n
[FONT=&#23435]A. Would you be surprised [/FONT]
n
[FONT=&#23435]B. Were you surprised[/FONT]
n[FONT=&#23435]C. Had you been surprised [/FONT]n[FONT=&#23435] D. Would you have been surprised [/FONT]

[FONT=&#23435]It seems to me A and D can both be correct here. Could you tell me which is correct? Thank you very much[/FONT]
D; is the only correct answer. What is subjunctive about it?

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
D; is the only correct answer. What is subjunctive about it?
Thank you for your reply. Does D "would you have been surprised" suggest a situation like this: imagine I had come yesterday, and you didn't know I was coming, when you come across me yesterday, would you have been surprised then? But is there another situation like: imagine I had come yesterday, and you didn't know I was coming, then when you meet me today, would you be surprised? That is, by using A, it means something that is contrary to the fact now (now I'm not surprised at all)
Looking forward to your analysis. Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But is there another situation like: imagine I had come yesterday, and you didn't know I was coming, then when you meet me today, would you be surprised?

Is the surprise related to meeting you now or the events of yesterday? If yesterday, then answer D works, but if the surprise is about meeting you now, then the connection to the events of yesterday is broken and 'Are you surprised that I arrived yesterday...?' would make more sense as a question- no need for conditionals as you're asking about the current real state and an established fact about the past.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for your reply. Does D "would you have been surprised" suggest a situation like this: imagine I had come yesterday, and you didn't know I was coming, when you come across me yesterday, would you have been surprised then? But is there another situation like: imagine I had come yesterday, and you didn't know I was coming, then when you meet me today, would you be surprised? That is, by using A, it means something that is contrary to the fact now (now I'm not surprised at all)
Looking forward to your analysis. Thank you.
Tdol is right. But if it is about now, you could still ask:
"Would you be surprised ..." but you'd have to use it differently:
"Would you be surprised if I told you I arrived yesterday ..."
So either way, A is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.