1. dianaDurko13

using the definite article

Hello! recently I've come across a very confusing variety of rules on the usage of article "the" in different sources. I'm interested particularly in the case when we talk about nationalities: the rule in one book reads we can use them without the definite article, while another one reads the contrary: we should use "the" with the nationalities ending in "ish" and some others. All the sources seem to be trustworthy, but what do you usually use in real English grammar nowadays? I'd be immensely grateful for your reply, since this is the material my students are going to come across at the final tests.
    Best regards,
    Diana, Ukraine.

Re: using the definite article

Quote Originally Posted by dianaDurko13 View Post
    Hello! recently I've come across a very confusing variety of rules on the usage of article "the" in different sources. I'm interested particularly in the case when we talk about nationalities: the rule in one book reads we can use them without the definite article, while another one reads the contrary: we should use "the" with the nationalities ending in "ish" and some others. All the sources seem to be trustworthy, but what do you usually use in real English grammar nowadays? I'd be immensely grateful for your reply, since this is the material my students are going to come across at the final tests.
    Best regards,
    Diana, Ukraine.
    Actually, I had never thought of that. As I look at a whole list of nationalities (Lists of people by nationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) it does appear to be true. I assume you are using them as nouns, correct? But, wait. What about "Lebanese" and "Lao"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: using the definite article

Quote Originally Posted by dianaDurko13 View Post
    Best regards,
    Diana, Ukraine.
    No doubt, part of the reason for your books seeming to be contradictory is that you haven't defined how you're going to use 'a nationality'.
    Let's take 'English'. All of the following are correct.
    He is English.
    He is an English man with an umbrella.
    He is the English man sitting in the corner.
    The English eat sausages.
    An English person eats sausages
    The English person in the corner eats sausages.
    English people eat sausages.